Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Phone Calls

I do not normally like to be interrupted by phone calls, whether at home or at work. It can be annoying at times especially when I'm working on sth and especially do not wish to be disturbed. I've had the phone off the hook a few times at work simply because I do not want to be interrupted. I reasoned that if it's that important, the person will call back surely. I also do not like it when/if someone I'm spending time with, regardless of relationship, answer his/her mobile. If I'm considerably close to the person, I would sometimes let him/her know that I'm not at all pleased at being relegated to the background. The person should know better than taking the call. It's rude and improper. I would have thought that the person making the call would know better - if it was me, I'd be wondering when is the best time to make the call for both myself and the person I'm calling. I wouldn't like to interrupt someone's dinner or quality time with the family!

Being a sleepyhead who values her beauty sleep, I also do not like it if people call me after 10.30 pm. There have been instances when the phone rings just after I have fallen asleep and against my better judgement, I wake up to answer the call - which at most times does not bear earth-shattering news anyway - only to have difficulty falling back to sleep after that. In the end, I find myself miserably tossing and turning in bed before sleep finally eluded me.

Having the person you're with having his/her mind obviously elsewhere is not a thrilling experience and can be even dangerous [think when he/she is at the wheel]. Sometimes I even feel bad for being there when a call comes in - when I'm out with some married colleagues for a seriously platonic lunch or serious treasure hunting and suddenly the wife calls! No matter how you try, you may end up sounding a lot guiltier than you actually are. Besides, I'm not the type to go after married men [except for Brad Pitt but he's divorced now and not yet remarried].

I have a friend who has her mobile phone constantly stuck to her ears - surely there's some radiation risk? She even brings it to the washroom and has even left it there once. Does she expect to be receiving calls when she's doing business?! And surely not being able to be out of touch even for a few minutes just add more stress to an already-stressed existence? As for me, I'm happy to being out of reach for a few hours. Hey, it's always nice to be missed.

I also do not like making phone calls except to [certain] girl friends. I have my share of dreaded phone calls to make, the most recent being yesterday when I had to settle someone else's business. I also have more than my fair share of having my calls transferred from one person to another, from one department to another division and finally, just when I can take it no more, the call gets cut off! How annoying can that be? I was also, on one occasion, been put on hold for more than 7 minutes before finally slamming the phone down, wondering if the person at the other end has suddenly suffered a heart attack and whether I should be calling the police/ambulance over [hey, at least I'm thoughtful which is more than I can say for the person at the other end]. And nothing annoys me more than having to repeat myself over the phone to the person at the other end - even if one has so many other things in mind, the least he/she can do is try to stay focused on the conversation while it lasts. Actually this also applies to normal conversations.

Admittedly, there are phone calls that are really important and urgent that you would really kick yourself if you miss it.

Maybe one day, when and if I really fall in love - assuming I know what that actually is and I can tell that it is indeed love - I would be more than happy to be taking and making calls. But not during meals, quality Adek time or after 10.30 pm.