Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Return To Pangkor Laut

I had been planning to bring my nieces and nephew on a short trip somewhere – it would have to be reasonably near because I cannot travel far and leave dad for long (since my brothers have conveniently washed their hands off him) and because my sister still doesn’t believe it’s safe yet to fly (so her kids can’t fly either) and decided to return to Pangkor Laut. It would be a huge treat for everyone, me included, because we all deserved it. It might be the last time I’m able to bring them anywhere – pretty soon, they’ll be busy with their own lives and won’t think it’s cool to travel with me anymore ;’( and yes, it’s a bit indulgent but the last few months had been challenging and I for one believe I deserved this treat.


I had tried booking a few dates (even this was not easy as I had to ensure we only travelled during semester breaks and after my eldest niece had finished her internship) and decided we would go in September. I had planned to go right after school holidays; alas, when I was finally ready to book, the rates had gone up so I had to find new dates. So the trip was further deferred by two weeks but it was OK.


I had told them repeatedly that we must leave by 10:00 on Sunday, 25 September 2022, and I was pleasantly surprised when they arrived to fetch me just before 10:00. They came in to meet dad and soon we were off. My niece drove and the kids told me to sit in front. So I did.


We made good time despite trailing behind a long lorry for some time somewhere after Teluk Intan and arrived at Pangkor Marina Island just before 13:00, alhamdulillah. We got down and unloaded the car. I went to check us in while my niece went to park the car. After the procedure was done, we were given a lemongrass drink and cold towel. I then announced that I wanted to perform prayers first while waiting for the boat.


I came back just in time to join the kids walk to the boat and we were already on our way at 13:50. There were quite a few guests who had left before us so I supposed there was a high number of those who were planning to take the 14:00 boat to the resort. We arrived at 14:00 and made our way to the lobby. We were given a mini Aiskrim Malaysia each upon arrival instead of the usual welcome drink. After some briefing on the facilities, we made our way to Royal Bay Beach Club for lunch. My nephew asked for Hainanese Chicken Rice and Mr. Vije kindly gave him not only the extra rice he asked for but also extra chicken too. After lunch, we went to check the gorgeous jaw-dropping washroom before going to the Games Room, the Recording Room, the tennis/basketball/futsal courts and Fitness Centre. Then we returned to the reception to get the keys to our room. I had requested for adjoining rooms and was happy to see my request was accommodated. The only complaint I had was our rooms had the afternoon sun shining directly into the bathroom area so it was quite bright and warm.















After a brief rest, we went to walk around the grounds. The kids wanted to swim so after a while, we turned and headed for the pool where they had a splashing time. My nephew went off early and headed for the basketball court where he made some new friends and shot basketball.







We had buffer dinner at Feast Village and after dinner, we checked out the Screening Room. My nephew and my other niece stayed and watched some movie.






I woke up too early on Monday and couldn’t sleep. We headed out after 08:30 for breakfast at Feast Village. It rained overnight as the ground was somewhat wet. We had booked for the 10:30 slot at the Recording Room (each slot is for two hours) and my other niece had fun belting out songs. After that, we went down to the Games Room for some ping pong, snooker and foosball before waiting for the shuttle to Emerald Bay where we were to have lunch. I wasn’t happy with what I ordered and didn’t finish it.










After lunch, we wandered for a bit before taking the shuttle back to our rooms. I was feeling sleepy so I had a kip after prayers. The kids went out after 16:30 as they wanted to return to Emerald Bay for a dip in the sea. I was only too happy to soak in the bathroom tub.


We took a shortcut to Uncle Lim’s (it had since relocated to behind Feast Village to where The Straits used to be) and I think the swim must’ve made the kids hungry as everyone was silent when the food arrived and just sat eating quietly. It was delicious and I’m glad to inform that we didn’t have to wait anywhere as long for the dessert as what I experienced on my first two visits. I went to The Library for a short while before returning to my room to pack.






On Tuesday, we rose early and finished packing. We went for breakfast just after 08:30 and had a leisurely breakfast. My nephew and the other niece then went to the Games Room while my elder niece lingered over our meal. Then it was time to make our way to the jetty...


My third visit was just wonderful and I wish we could’ve stayed longer. Alas, nothing lasts forever and reality beckons. I am grateful and thankful to have the rezeki, time and opportunity to share my time there with the kids (this is what singles do, either get a pet or borrow other people’s children). I can’t help thinking of the time we had and the things we did there. Thanks to the lovely people who made our visit wonderful and memorable and special mention to Mr. Vije and Mr. Israfil for being so sporting, accommodating, attentive and patient with us and our requests.


I hope to return again one day, insyaAllah.