Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Short Trip To Empress Town

I had planned to go to Muar back in March and had even bought the return bus tickets. Allah had other plans for me though as dad became ill so I didn’t go. I thought that was it but on Friday afternoon (12 August), found myself some free hours the following day so quickly bought return bus ticket then.


I left micasa early and made my way to TBS for the 09:00 bus. There were two other buses departing from the same bay, one going north and another to Genting so our bus only left at 09:06. I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived at Terminal Bentayan at 11:15 as I’d expected the journey to take longer. I had to use the overhead bridge to cross Jalan Maharani then walked along it. I passed the Clock Tower then some old shophouses before I came upon the Royal Custom and Excise Building which dates back to 1909.




I continued further until I came upon the police station which is another heritage building and still in use, the Court next to it (built in 1920s) and then the Sultan Abu Bakar building (dates back to 1921). It was getting very hot and I was glad I had my long brolly with me.




Next I came upon Masjid Jamek Sultan Ibrahim which was completed in 1930. I continued on to Dataran Tanjung Emas and took some photos before turning back. I walked past Masjid Jamek again then turned into a side road and walked to Muar High School, another heritage building which dates back to 1915. After that, I continued on until Restoran Mee Bandung Abu Bakar Hanifah for lunch. Lunch was good but I was not pleased with the hot lime tea drink which I ordered as it came in a very small cup and without any lime in sight. I commented on it when I paid RM1.80 for it. Daylight robbery is what it was.





After lunch, I wandered around and then turned back to find the Old Dutch Houses at Jalan Othman. They are all dated 1928 which was during the British time so I don’t know why the houses are called such although they do look slightly Dutch to me.





I then made my way back to the bus station as I wanted to perform prayers before my bus at 15:15. I then wandered over to the public market before returning to the bus terminal. The bus came early – another pleasant surprise – and we left on time. We reached TBS at 17:20.


And that was my trip to another royal town this year. Alhamdulillah, managed to accomplish Muar trip finally.