Thursday, January 27, 2022

Pearl Of The South China Sea: Part III

On Monday, after waiting 30 minutes, I took bus number 1 to the War Cemetery to pay respect to those who fought and died in Borneo during WW II. Because of the long unsuccessful fruitless wait for the bus back the previous day, I decided to walk back to town and it turned out to be a pleasant walk. I stopped en route at Pantai Tanjung Batu, Pantai Tanjung Purun, the Clock Tower, Marine Museum (the highlights are the skeletal remains of a 12-metre long baby finback whale that washed up on Malacca shores in 1892, a preserved dugong and artefacts from shipwrecks), Financial Park and Labuan Museum. I even went for blood cupping at Financial Park. I then went to have lunch at Loong Fish Head Soup Restaurant before walking back to my room to rest. Dinner was had at Mama’s Kitchen again. There are a few Muslim restaurants there but mainly selling Indian Muslim fare. There were flashes of faraway lightnings across the evening sky.

 










On Tuesday, I went out for breakfast at a coffee shop very near my hotel. It was drizzling. I then checked out and walked to the central market to find some dried seafood to bring home. I then left my bag in bus number 5 (driver told me he would leave at 10:30 and agreed to bring me all the way into the airport area) and went to explore some shops. I reached the airport at 10:40 and went to drop off my bag. My flight took off on time and we landed at KLIA at 14:25. My bag took such a long time to emerge. In the end, I took the bus to TBS and from there, took LRT back to Ampang.

 

I found Labuan to be an interesting and exciting place to visit. Enough people have told me it was a boring place but I found enough things to do to occupy myself. In fact, I wouldn’t mind a return trip.