Wednesday, December 22, 2021

A Short Weekend In Georgetown

I decided I would make Penang my annual destination instead of Singers and after checking when school break would begin, I searched for accommodation before buying return bus tickets. Unfortunately, as the workplace’s resort in Georgetown was still closed and I didn’t fancy staying at Berjaya Penang Hotel as it’s in Pulau Tikus, I had to book an alternative accommodation. I finally booked Cocoa Mews on Airbnb.

 

My bus on 3 December was supposed to depart Duta bus station at 12:30 but it only left at 12:57. We stopped en route at Simpang Pulai Northbound Layby for thirty minutes and I took the opportunity to perform prayers before buying some buns at the Petronas Mesra shop. We continued on and after joining the after-work Friday traffic, we finally reached Penang Sentral at 17:44. I thanked the driver, quickly disembarked and grabbed my little suitcase. I was at the ferry terminal within five minutes. There’s no ticket charge for trips made from 1 July to 31 December – you’ll need to present your MyKad at the ticket counter. I’m not sure if foreigners were charged; there was a Caucasian fellow on the ferry with us. The ferry ride took ten minutes.

 

I stopped at Hamad Pata stall but it didn’t seem to be moving so I left. I walked to my Airbnb in Little India and checked in. After being shown to my room and the layout, I left to find dinner. I had dinner in the little kitchenette before resting in my room.




On Saturday, I woke up early – there was an early riser who kept walking to and fro his room and the kitchenette and bathroom. I left around 07:30 and walked to the morning street market at Jalan Kuala Kangsar. I spotted the stall selling vegetarian wantan noodles (which I completely missed on my last trip in July 2020 – turned out it had relocated to shop no. 3) and happily ordered a small bowl. I then continued roaming the streets before walking to find Rafi Hokkien Mee at Jalan Burma (it’s inside a coffee shop and across from the Glass Museum). I sat down and had my second bowl of noodles that morning.







I then walked to 1st Avenue Mall and while waiting for it to open, walked to Lebuh Noordin. I stayed at two boutique hotels there on two previous visits. The mall opened just after 10:00 and I took the lift up to level 8 where TGV Cinemas are. After buying ticket for the 10:45 James Bond No Time To Die, I walked down to the mall. Well, it was a bit depressing as only about 50% of the shops were still in business. Maybe the locals go to other malls or maybe the shops had closed down for good or relocated to another mall? I returned back to the cinema.

 

After the movie (there were probably a dozen people in the whole cinema!), I walked to Bee Hwa Café for lunch. Not much choice was left so I ordered curry noodles. After lunch, I dropped by nearby Mydin before returning to the Airbnb. I performed prayers, read my book then had a nap.

 

I ventured out at 17:45 to find dinner and finally decided to have laksa at one stall near Bee Hwa Café. I had to wait a while before getting my laksa and was not amused to find not a shred of fish in it. The seller asked me how I found the laksa and I immediately replied, ‘No fish at all!’ Now to me, if you sell laksa and there’s no more fish in the gravy, you should stop selling it for that day. Why sell it if the main ingredient is missing? Sellers should have pride in what they sell and serve their customers and not just be focused on making money! I left feeling disgruntled and took a longer route to return to the Airbnb. I wanted to rest and sleep early but two newly checked in guests were talking in the kitchenette while having their late dinner.

 

On Sunday morning, I woke up early (there were others who rose even earlier!) and had a quick shower. I left at 07:00 and walked to the ferry terminal. The walk took less than 15 minutes and I immediately went in and queued. We boarded at 07:20 and were off on time. At Penang Sentral, I went to the counter and was issued a ticket. I had to pay RM1 for port charge or something. Then I had breakfast at Iqbal Restaurant (expensive and tasteless).






My bus arrived early and we left on time but the bus stopped to pick passengers at its office before taking the state roads to Parit Buntar. It traversed for a while before finally joining the highway. I had rescheduled my ETA at KL Sentral in my mind at 13:30. Well, we arrived at 13:47 somewhat to my surprise. I was back at micasa by 14:30. Alhamdulillah.

 

Quite satisfied with this trip except for the laksa and the bus trip back. The weather was all right too. It didn’t rain but it didn’t get too unbearably hot and humid as it did on a few previous trips. Alhamdulillah.