Friday, November 05, 2021

A Very Short Trip To Tanjung Malim

To continue on the geographical theme I had unconsciously set, from Kuala Kubu Bharu and Kuala Selangor, I decided to take the train up to Tanjung Malim. I missed the MRT train by a minute and arrived at Sungai Buloh station at 10:23. I couldn’t see the commuter train at the platform (you could see the platform when you get down from the feeder bus) and when I checked the screen, thought I saw the train leaving at 10:40. However, the next train that came was the ETS train so I had to wait for the 11:40 train instead. Strewth!

 

The train finally arrived and I boarded it. It reached Tanjung Malim 63 minutes later. I was surprised at the condition of the station. We had to walk up the stairs to cross the tracks – I think I saw the lift but it didn’t appear to be working so what if one was disabled or a senior citizen needing help to climb those stairs?!). There appeared to be some minor construction work but no one was there and I didn’t know if the construction work was abandoned or the workers didn’t work on Saturdays. I then went to find the bathroom but it was closed. When I walked out, I saw sign for another bathroom and was not amused to find it was also closed. What a discouraging start already, I thought.

 

The town seemed deserted and didn’t seem like a university town at all. I walked towards Sultan Idris Education University less than a km away. The main gate was closed so I had to make do from taking photos from outside the gates. I didn’t spend a long time there because there wasn’t much to do besides taking pictures and it was also starting to drizzle.

 




I turned back and dropped by Masjid Jamek to perform prayers. After prayers, I went to the old town. I was conscious that I had little time left if I wanted to catch the 14:40 train back to Sungai Buloh. I could take the train after that but it would only depart at 16:35 and I couldn’t imagine what else to do in those two additional hours (if only the National Education Museum wasn’t closed!). Anyway, as it turned out, I needn’t have worried as the old town was pretty compact anyway.

 

I bree



zed through the old town (the old and new towns are divided by the train track), walked past Kampung Kubu which is the birthplace of the town. Then I walked to Jalan Besar (main road) with its two rows of shophouses built in the early 20th century by Hokkien immigrants.

 






I then stopped for a quick lunch at Restoran Ghani before walking back to the station. And yes, passengers needed to climb up the stairs to cross the tracks to the platform. The train left on time.

 

I may visit the town again, probably some time next year when the Sultan Idris Education University celebrates its 100th year. Hopefully the museum will also be open on my next visit. My dad had also expressed his wish to visit his alma mater when I mentioned my trip to him. InsyaAllah.