Friday, November 22, 2019

Niece's Birthday Weekend

I bought a ticket to Kota Bharu in early August for last weekend. My niece’s birthday is on 16 November so I decided to fly there after work on Friday, 15 November 2019, and fly back to KL the following afternoon. On 1 October, I received emails from Malaysia Airlines informing that my flights had been retimed to depart and return to KL later. Oh well...

I arrived at the office early on Friday and managed to get my boss to agree to my plan to work through lunch and leave before 15:00 for KL Sentral. I then bought the KLIA Ekspres ticket + GRAB ticket online and after working through lunch etc, I arranged for GRAB to come. The driver was efficient and we reached KL Sentral at 15:07. I caught the 15:20 train to KLIA and immediately made my way to domestic departure to my gate.

The flight took off late as we had to queue at the runway. We landed at 18:00 and I immediately rushed out of the plane, hurried through the building, exited the airport and went to the bus stop. The bus for the city arrived less than five minutes later and was I glad I hurried! I was the sole passenger, making me wonder if the bus was running on schedule or I happened to catch a bus not running its schedule. We arrived at the bus station in the city at about 18:35 and I walked to CityPoint. I had made a room booking there and my niece was already waiting. I rang the apartment contact person and he arrived a few seconds later and showed us to our room. And yes, it would have to be at the very end of the corridor!

We went out for dinner at 20:00 and decided to check out Sun Two. After dinner, we walked to Mydin before returning back to the room. It started raining after 22:00 but we were already in our room, safe and dry.

I had made an appointment with a spa for Saturday morning but the spa had to cancel our appointment. Strewth!

We woke up to an overcast Saturday and went out after 08:00 to find breakfast. In the end, we had it at a stall by the market. We then went to buy some local delicacies at the market before returning to the room. I contacted another spa but it was fully booked so I decided to return to the market to do some shopping. Yeah, I was meant to shop after all.
We left at 10:00 and after checking the bus schedule, made our way back to the market. I bought some batik sarong, some prayer attire and some prayer sarong. We were back in our room at 10:45. Whoever said girls take a long time to shop has obviously never shopped with me!

We checked out at noon and after leaving my bag and water bottle at the counter downstairs, we walked to Grand Riverview Hotel for dim sum lunch, my birthday treat to my niece. After lunch, we performed prayers then I left my niece in the lobby while I went for a short stroll along the river.





We left the hotel at 15:10 and walked to the bus station. I collected my bag and when we reached the bus station, the bus for the airport was already there. It was an old, slightly shorter bus than the buses I’d taken before in KB. The bus left 5 minutes before schedule and we got down near my niece’s student digs. I was shocked and speechless when I saw the living conditions. Two bunk beds and tall cabinets in my niece’s room (if I could call it that). I’d like to be a landlady there too because it’s easy money.

I left at 17:05 and my niece accompanied me half-way. The weather had indeed improved and it was such a hot afternoon. There were two other ladies at the bus stop and one of them told me the bus would arrive at 17:30. And what do you know, the bus did arrive at 17:30 and it took only a couple of minutes to reach the airport bus stop. So glad I decided to take the bus and not GRAB.

We took off on time and landed at 19:25. I hurried through the terminal and went to perform prayers before making my way to the bus station for the 20:00 bus back to KL Sentral. I could see that it had rained earlier in Sepang.

And it was raining when we reached KL Sentral! Whoa. I waited for 25 minutes for the bus and finally arranged a vehicle via MyCar. I arrived micasa at 21:40.

Until the next trip to KB then.