Monday, October 07, 2019

Far From Home: Part IV

Soundtrack: Staring At The Sun

Friday, 20 September 2019

I woke up early and after a light breakfast, I walked to the train station. It was about 07:20 when I left and it was just nice as it was neither too hot nor too cold. I finally found the train ticket shop at the other end of the station (there was also counters selling bus tickets) and I went to buy a return ticket to Monte Carlo. The cost was an eye-watering whooping €78.90 *gulp* but hey, it’s not everyday that I would find myself in a situation where I could visit Monaco. I boarded the train for Nice Ville and we reached Nice Ville almost three hours later. As there was about 30 minutes until my next train, I decided to exit the station and check out a bit of Nice.

I returned to the station about 15 minutes later and the machine couldn’t read my ticket. Damn, it probably was because I wasn’t supposed to exit the station. A few others couldn’t enter the station either and I decided to follow what they did: tag along behind someone. I managed to clear the gate although a warning sound emanated. I walked on with my best poker face and headed for the platform for the train to Monte Carlo. I made it with seconds to spare and the train was full to the rafters. There were quite a few Brits in the train all wanting to catch the last of the summer sun. The train made many stops before it pulled into Gare de Monaco station (a station situated underground). I walked out and walked up until I reached Office du Tourisme de Monaco and continued on. I wandered into Jardins de la Petite Afrique then back to the main street and walked on and on. There was an understated opulence and wealth everywhere I looked and I walked on and on before turning back. Although it’s such a tiny hilly country, somehow everything seems to fit in place. The sun was out and blazing, the flowers blooming, the lawns and garden and tiny parks were well-manicured and maintained, that it was hard to feel anything but happiness and joy walking there.










I had bought the return train ticket scheduled to depart at 15:00 so I returned to Gare du Monaco at 14:48. Again, I had to change trains at Nice for the train back to Marseille St Charles. Back in Marseille, I ventured out of the station for a bit before returning to the Airbnb. I walked 17.6 km today.

Soundtrack: Rain

Saturday, 21 September 2019

The day started off hazy and overcast. I left at 07:15 and after a brief stop at the train station to buy ticket to Arles, I walked to the port of Marseille. It was a blustery morning at times too. I walked until I reached the lookout near Eglise Saint Laurent before turning back. Marseille is also a hilly city.








Now, a bit about the train ticket. Before I left, I had checked SNCF website and determined that I should take the 12:14 train to Arles and it would cost me €12.90. From Arles, it’s a standard rate of €8 to Avignon, and from Avignon to Vitrolles station, it’s a standard fare of €18.30 *gulp*. So I was pleasantly surprised when the lady at the counter advised me to take the 11:18 train and that she would sell me a day return ticket for €5.00. I asked if it usually cost more to buy online and she said yes. Eh? Then how do you encourage people to purchase their ticket online then?

I returned to the Airbnb at 10:00 and left at 10:40. I walked back to the station, walking up and down the road. It started to drizzle lightly after a while and I hurried on to the station. I reached the station at 10:55 and went to find the platform and was not amused to find the train would be delayed and only arrive at 11:26 or so. It was a full train with hardly any seats left (not as full as the train from Nice Ville to Monte Carlo the day before though) and we reached Arles 51 minutes later. It was raining in Arles and I walked in the rain to the city centre. It was a miserable day and I didn’t even have a hoodie so I wrapped a shawl around my head and soldiered on.






I was walking and wandering some back streets when I felt some weight on my Speedy so I turned and was furious to find two white teenage-looking girls following me. One of them had unzipped my Speedy. Damn you! I followed them and glared at them. They stopped to pretend to admire some building and I asked them if they were trying to pickpocket me. Damn you! Well, Allah protected me that day and every day, alhamdulillah so your evil plan was unsuccessful.

I returned to the station for the 14:01 train to Avignon (if I missed that, I would have to wait for the next train at 16:01 so no thanks). I paid €5.00 for the fare and we reached Avignon 17 minutes later. I walked into the city centre. There was a climate change demonstration today and police were everywhere too to control the protesters. But it was all peaceful. After a brief stop at the Office de Tourist d’Avignon, I continued on to the Palais des Papes. It continued drizzling on and off. I wanted to check out Pont d’Avignon but the queue was long and the guard was checking each bag. I doubt he’d be thrilled having to check my suitcase (if it was even allowed in) so I walked on.











I returned to the station and bought ticket to Vitrolles. Again, I paid €5.00 for the ticket and again, proving that it was not worth purchasing train ticket in France online. There was supposed to be a 17:41 train to Vitrolles taking 53 minutes but that train was delayed and we had to take the 17:47 train that took 90 minutes to reach Vitrolles. At Vitrolles, we all ran out of the train and down the stairs to the bus stop. If anything, the rain was getting heavier. The bus came within a few minutes and at the airport bus station, I ran to Terminal 1. Autumn had indeed arrived and with a wet bang.

I freshened up and sat down to catch my breath. My flight out was at 22:25 so I had some time to kill. I went in at 21:00 and sat down to wait to board. My seat had to be at the back of the plane of course and I slept throughout the flight. I was that exhausted.

We landed at Barcelona El Prat Airport at 23:15 and I hurried out. I found the bus station but missed the 23:30 N17 Nitbus so I hopped onto bus no. 46. It would take me to Gran Via too and I paid €2.20 for the fare. There was WiFi provided by the city and I tracked our progress and then sent a message to Luis, my Airbnb host. Luis was waiting for me in front of his apartment building and he brought me up and spent time to explain things.

Sunday, 21 September 2019

I woke up early and had some breakfast after showering then called home. I had to rush off to Barcelona Sants to make the 08:15 bus to Andorra. It was already promising to be a hot sunny day in Barcelona. The bus trip to Andorra la Vella took three hours and I enjoyed the view along the way. From the bus station in Andorra la Vella, I walked along the La Valira river to explore the city. It was an overcast day and I was concerned if I was underdressed or if the weather was too cold when I saw the locals in their down jackets. Fortunately, it was a mild autumn day. Andorra la Vella is surrounded by the Pyrenees mountains and you can see the mountains all around you. NI had warned me and discouraged me against going to Andorra as he found it boring and the journey up and down the mountains can make you throw up but I was determined to go. And I was glad I did for I enjoyed the small city.











I returned to the bus station to catch the 13:15 bus back to Barcelona (I think it was the same driver as before although I wasn’t sure if it was the same bus). We reached Barcelona three hours later and I walked back to Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes. I went back to my room and spent the rest of the afternoon reading before venturing out again to find food.

I stayed in the rest of the evening and was glad I did for it started raining while I was having dinner and continued raining for some time.

Monday, 23 September 2019

I woke up early, showered and had breakfast. I finished packing and left just after 08:00 and made my way across the road to the bus stop for the bus to the airport. You could take the metro to the airport and if you spend a longer time than I did, you could buy the T10 Travel Card which is more economical but I was there for only a short time and didn’t need to use the metro. Also, it was easier for me to take the bus instead of struggling down and up the metro stairs. The traffic was already building for a new work week but it was moving. The airport was only about ten km away anyway.

Conveniently, Etihad counters are at the same level as the bus station (I didn’t notice this when I arrived) and I headed there to drop off my suitcase. I also managed to change seats from row 38 to row 19. Then I went up to departure level and queued to clear security. We then had to clear passport control according to the zone of your boarding gate. This was a long slow process and I was glad I arrived early. Surprisingly, there was only one duty-free shop when we cleared passport control (other duty-free shops were at the lower levels) and as I couldn’t browse, I walked to my gate after filling up my water bottle.

We boarded at 09:45 and as it turned out to be an empty flight, I moved up two rows. I had the whole middle row all to myself. Sleep was elusive though.

We landed at Abu Dhabi Airport at 19:25. After a brief browse at duty-free, I walked to my gate. I went to freshen up first before sitting down to catch up with social media. We had to board a bus to the plane. The flight took off later than scheduled and try as I might I could not sleep.

Tuesday, 23 September 2019

We landed at KLIA at 10:10. It looked as if the haze had gone (I found out later that the new monsoon season had started today hence why there was no more haze as the wind are now from the north-east and not south-west). I took the bus to KL Sentral and made my way back to Ampang Point. Dad picked me up and shortly after I got home, I was cooking vegetable dish for lunch as I refused to buy vegetable dish from the stalls.

So that was my trip this time around after passing through seven airports and discovering four new countries and four new UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Alhamdulillah.