Tuesday, August 27, 2019

High School Reunion 2019


We had a high school reunion last Saturday. A committee was set up towards the end of last year and they tirelessly worked to secure the venue, send out invitations, work with the hotel on accommodation and meals, plan activities for the programme, etc etc. I finally decided to go and paid for an overnight stay even though the venue is pretty close to home as I knew the event would last until past 23:00. My two closest mates were also going. There were updates on the event as the date drew closer and teasers on the activities. We were first told to wear our house colours and subsequently encouraged to add some bling to our outfit. We also had to come with a gift worth at least RM30 for gift exchange.

Finally, the day arrived. I left home and made my way to the hotel. As usual, the usual non-stop laughter that always erupts whenever we meet could be heard throughout that afternoon and well into the night. It was great to meet old friends who came from near and far (the furthest flew from Houston!) and at times, I had trouble reconciling them from those old school days to the present. Can’t quite believe we were dorm mates, classmates, house mates, etc. I must confess that I couldn’t recognise a few of them (they all joined when we were in Form 4) and although I tried hard, there were some people I didn’t manage to greet and shake hands with. I didn’t take any photos as usual as I always prefer taking photos using a camera. I was content to join in group photos and photobomb others though.

The hotel was upgrading its lifts so we had to wait a while to get into one. The hotel AC didn’t seem to work in the lobby and lifts so we had to suffer while waiting for and riding the lift. The venue was at level 5 and we had to register first. We also handed over our gifts at the registration, got assigned to our tables and those early enough to arrive were also handed the manicure vouchers. After registering, I went to my table (number 7) and deposited the door gift there to book my seat. I then walked over to the corner of the room for my manicure. More girls had started arriving by then.

The event finally began at about 15:20 and we first had some food. We also had some games during the high tea and I actually won the third place. The winners of the first game were not allowed to participate in the second game so I went to get some food. We then had photo taking sessions and this took a while so much so the Health Talk that was scheduled did not take place.

We broke for prayers, check-in and some rest at 18:00 and were told to return to the ballroom at 20:00. Our apartment was at level 35 (there are 39 levels in all) and we were lucky enough to be able to board a lift without waiting too long. We had a two-room apartment with a living room, dining area and kitchenette. The rooms were en-suite with a WC at the hallway (right after you enter the door) and a good thing too as the flush to the WC in the master bathroom didn’t work.

After resting, freshening up and prayers, we went back down to level 5 for dinner. We also had some fashion show followed by another photo session and then closed-door ‘flash mob’. I don’t know about the others but I left the room after 23:15 and there were still some people there.

I woke up after 03:00 early on Sunday and couldn’t sleep after that. I didn’t attend the morning tazkirah or Zumba that followed. I showered after they had gone for Zumba and went down for breakfast (at ground floor). We checked out at 11:40 and my mate dropped me off at Ampang Park. I was home barely an hour later. While I had a great time overall, I had tummy upset following the high tea and dinner on Saturday and a worse tummy upset on Sunday following breakfast that was borderline diarrhoea. I had informed the committee members of this and as I wasn’t alone in my suffering, hopefully the committee would escalate the matter to the hotel.

I penned the following to my friends yesterday:

To my beautiful lovely girlfriends

Thank you so much for the memorable weekend. My heartfelt gratitude and appreciation to the tireless committee who worked hard to make this reunion happen and boy, did it happen! Thank you all for making me feel and act like I’m still 17 (I still do get mistaken for a college student so maybe I still act that even when I'm on my own!). I do apologise if I didn’t get to meet everyone personally and for not taking individual photos with anyone. I’m one of those too lazy to fish out my phone out to take pictures but am always happy to join in photos and photobomb others (oops).

We’re all in a different phase of our lives: some are wives and mothers while some are still happily single (Axxx did suggest for the bacholerettes to take a picture together at the reunion but one or two were missing then). Whatever it is, most of us if not all are in the sandwich generation where we are responsible for both bringing up our own children and for the care of our ageing ailing parents (I do not have kids of my own but I do have my nieces and nephew that I especially care for and treat like they're my own). At the same time, we also face our own life challenges be it work, financial, relationship, health challenges. We have to deal with all the good and bad that life throws at us while at the same time getting to grips with wrinkles, grey hair, hair loss, extra kg, lower stamina, etc etc etc, and oh not to forget, menopause is also waiting at the horizon. Whatever it is, I hope and pray that we will all stay sane, strong, resilient and patient in dealing with all these. More importantly, let’s take very good care of ourselves (especially our health and well-being) because no one else is going to be responsible and do that for us. Let’s not let our bodies and health go, let’s treat ourselves with more appreciation and respect, let’s not neglect what Allah has given us.

We are survivors, we are mentally strong, and we shall survive (after all, we’ve managed to survive 47 years of life so far), we are warriors in our own right. Let us continue on our life journey with humility, grace, poise, dignity, pride and humility. I know I have good friends who have got my back, who will tell me bluntly what is good or bad for me, who will keep me on the straight and narrow, who can lift me up when I'm down, who will give me feedback and advice, in short, who will be there for me. True friends are everything and as the Irish proverb goes, may the hinge of our friendship never grow rusty.

I pray that our friendship will only strengthen after this. To those who bump into me and I don’t show sign of recognition, please forgive me. Sometimes I’m lost in my own world (and problems) and most times, just don't notice people (I can share a crowded lift with someone and not realise a colleague is in there). But if our paths cross wherever and I don't approach or notice you, please come and say hi. Don’t be a stranger, OK? I have been said to appear aloof and unapproachable (even snobbish) and if I have appeared that way to you at any time, please accept my sincere apologies. Also, I may not be able to join many activities due to my time constraint and responsibilities but will try to join when I can.

Let’s continue on our life journey together and grow old gracefully together. Not everyone gets that opportunity so let’s make the best of it.

Love you all. Can’t wait until the next reunion!