Monday, July 30, 2018

11+ Hours In SG


I had been a bit indifferent to Arsenal during the recent season but decided to meet them when they announced they would be playing in International Champions Cup in Singapore in July. After a few attempts at securing the ticket for the Saturday match against Paris Saint Germain, I finally managed to get my ticket. Next was securing the bus ticket and I was gutted to find that Nice Coach had stopped its bus services to Singapore from 1 July 2018. As I didn’t want to get the bus from TBS, I bought First Coach ticket online departing from Lengkok Abdullah near Bangsar LRTstation for RM60. Then I spent some time browsing for bus tickets to return the same evening after the match (no way was I going to overnight there) and after reading reviews of a few bus operators, I decided to buy Transtar ticket departing from Golden Mile Complex at Beach Road departing at 22:45 and arriving opposite Berjaya Times Square. The ticket cost SGD20 and I added another SGD1 for insurance.

I woke up early on Saturday, 28 July, and prepared some sandwich for breakfast and my trip. We left for Bangsar LRT station and waited for the First Coach office to open at 07:00 to get my ticket. There were 3 other Gooners in their respective Arsenal tops (I planned to change just before the match) in the same bus. I received my ticket together with a bottle of water and a packet of Jacob’s crackers.

We left on time and were soon breezing down PLUS Highway heading south. Traffic was blessedly smooth all the way. We stopped at Pagoh R&R at 09:40 to utilise the facilities and were off again at 10:05. Traffic was again kind until we crossed over the second link into Singapore – I didn’t even want to wonder how bad the traffic was at Causeway. Our bus only cleared the queue after 20 minutes. There was another long wait at the Singaporean passport control. I stood for almost 45 minutes before I was cleared.



Tuas Checkpoint


It was about 13:30 when we reached Novena Square and I wasted some time before boarding the MRT for Orchard. I made my way to Royal Plaza on Scotts to perform prayers. The prayer room had relocated since my last visit to the second floor (or first floor; Singaporeans are so American-influenced despite being a British settlement!) and you need to climb up the staircase up (the right-hand staircase when you enter the hotel). I left at 15:15 and wandered off to Isetan before heading to Lucky Plaza where I discovered a shop selling confectionery and snacks at very competitive prices. I then crossed over to Ngee Ann City and after a brief visit to Wisma Atria, I returned to Ngee Ann City and had an early dinner at the Food Village. After dinner, I caught up with social media before boarding the MRT for Nicoll Highway station as I wanted to check out the Golden Mile Complex and ascertain where the Transtar office was.

I was waiting to cross Java Road when a bus turned into the road and it took a few seconds for me to realise it was the Arsenal bus with the players in it heading for the National Stadium!!! I realised too late to fish out my device and take a picture of it. I could see Cech and Matteo sitting by the window closest to me and they were literally five metres away from me! FIVE!!!




After that brief excitement, I continued on to Golden Mile Complex. I don’t know why it was named such but the building houses several bus operators along with some Vietnamese- and Thai-owned businesses and Transtar was at the other end of the building. There was a Thai Buddhist shrine across from Transtar office. I asked if I could collect my ticket then and was told to come at 22:15. I continued on and walked to the stadium.




Before entering the stadium, I went to Kallang Wave Mall and went to find the prayer area there (found out when I was searching for prayer rooms near the stadium). It was near the washrooms around the corner from Fair Price. I went to the washroom and changed my top before returning to Fair Price to get some mineral water. There was an announcement urging those of us planning to watch the match to make our way there immediately.

There was a short queue heading into the stadium and security check. Those with bags had to queue in different queues and after having our bags checked, we underwent body check. My seat was in section 7 so I had to walk a bit before going up to where my row was. There were a few idiots in ManUre and Cheshit tops too.




The match started around 19:45 and when Paris Saint Germain equalised from the spot, I started getting worried. A draw would mean penalty shootout which would mean the match would end later than expected and I might not be able to perform prayers after the match but at some R&R stop later that night. As it turned out, I needn’t have worried as the Gunners scored another four goals and the final score was 5-1. I left immediately and went back to Kallang Wave Mall. After freshening up and performing ablutions, I performed prayers in the prayer area. My, it was stuffy in there. No air-conditioning at all. It was 22:02 when I left and I hurried back to Beach Road. I arrived at Transtar office at 22:16 and checked in. I wasn’t issued any ticket but the girl noted my printed ticket and gave me a bottle of water. I went into the building to find a washroom but left immediately. It wasn’t a nice place at all. I walked to the nearby Caltex and used the bathroom there instead. There just wasn’t time to go to Zam Zam to buy any murtabak to go.

My bus arrived as I was walking to Caltex and it was parked at the other end of the building from Transtar. It was a double decker bus and I purposely chose a seat at the lower deck as I wanted to go out and in quickly. We left on time and I dozed off during the trip to Tuas Checkpoint. As Transtar was a Singaporean company, I had worried earlier if there were more Singaporeans on board which mean they would clear the Singaporean passport control quickly and the bus may leave without me but I needn’t have worried as the Tuas Checkpoint was almost deserted then (it was almost midnight) and the passport control process took five minutes tops. We then re-boarded the bus and crossed over to Malaysian soil. Again, it was a quick process at the Johore side and before long, we were travelling north. The bus stopped somewhere for a washroom break but I was too sleepy to get down then.

We arrived at the bus stop at Plaza Berjaya (under the Imbi monorail and opposite Times Square) at 04:15 and I sat there waiting. There were many cars on the road even at that hour and the bus stop was brightly lit so I wasn’t afraid. I had planned to walk down to Pudu and wait until Subuh to perform prayers before taking the bus back but CT came to pick me up.

And that was my trip to SG this time. I wasn’t in the mood to shop at all despite the Great Singapore Sale so I hardly spent apart from on MRT tickets, some chocolates and dinner. And besides, Singapore is not cheap especially when you earn MYR. I could find a similar thing at a lower cost at Isetan KLCC compared to Singapore. But it was a good day trip nevertheless.