Friday, January 12, 2018

The Land Of White Gold: Part III

Tuesday, 26 December 2017

We woke up to an overcast morning and indeed it had even rained earlier. It was forecasted to be cold today with the temperature struggling to reach 1C so I bundled up. We had breakfast before leaving for Al Bukhari Complex about 25 km away from the city in a village called Hartang. Imam Al Bukhari was an important figure in Islam; he collected thousands of hadiths. He was a hafeez too. We spent some time here paying our respects before leaving.

Our hired driver dropped us near Registan Ensemble and we walked to the three madrasahs there: the Ulugbek on the left if you’re standing facing them, Tilla Kari in the centre and Shirdor on the right and across from Ulugbek. Ulugbek Madrasah was built in the 15 Century, followed by Shirdor (it has two tiger mosaic on the face of the madrasah) and Tilla Kari which was built 10 years after Shirdor was completed. We spent quite a while here, including a detour to a nearby mosque to use its facilities. It had started to drizzle again when we were at the Registan Ensemble.


Ulugbek Madrasah
Tilla Kari Madrasah
Shirdor Madrasah


After that, we walked down Tashkent Road to Bibikhanum Mosque. Bibikhanum was the wife of Amir Timur, a great Uzbek warrior and hero. We spent a short while here (well, short compared to Registan Ensemble!). Bibikhanum’s tomb is just across the street from the mosque named after her. We also saw Khazrat Khizr from afar; it was undergoing reconstruction. After that we walked down and took a cab to a restaurant for lunch. The rain had gotten heavier by then.

Lunch was the usual fare of nan bread, a choice of salad, soup and lemon tea. So good to have piping hot food on a rainy day!

The rain was still falling when we left for Shakhi Zinda Necropolis. There are three levels of structure: lower, middle and upper. The details are really beautiful although I couldn’t help feeling slightly apprehensive. ‘I hope I won’t get nightmares tonight,’ I told Nit. I had a long nightmare immediately after visiting Kom Ombo temple.

The rain finally petered off and we hailed another cab to Gur-Emir Mausoleum aka Amir Timur Mausoleum. We didn’t walk straight to the mausoleum though but crossed the street first to the statue of Amir Timur. It had started drizzling again then but we persevered. We climbed up and spent some Kodak moments there before making our way to the mausoleum. The mausoleum houses Timur’s tomb and his direct descendants. We sat here for a bit admiring the architecture of the mausoleum. I’m not sure if beautiful is the right word to describe a mausoleum but it certainly is breathtaking.

We were then accosted by some shopkeepers (typical!) and I reluctantly followed them and Nit down the catacombs where the shop is. I was tempted by some camel hair shawl and some lovely plates but in the end left empty-handed.

On our way to grab a cab back, we passed Rukhabad Mausoleum. We didn’t linger though as it was already getting dark. We also stopped at the train ticket office; unfortunately, we were later informed by Elzod that the train tickets to Tashkent had already sold out (we were supposed to return back to Tashkent by fast train). As it had begun raining again in earnest, we asked for Elzod to buy some dinner for us to go. Oh, and in the end, we stayed the second night at Konstantin Hotel too.

Wednesday, 27 December 2017

Alhamdulillah, the day began clear and bright. We left at 09:40 and after a brief stop, continued our journey to Tashkent. It took 4 hours and we checked back into Hotel Uzbekistan which we stayed at on the first night. I insisted on performing prayers first and quickly performed ablutions and prayers before going down to meet up Elzod. We then took a cab to a restaurant for lunch. I had some Uyghur noodles on top of nan bread and salad. Delicious!

After lunch, we drove to Khazret Imam Ensemble with the Museum of Quran where we viewed a unique manuscript of Quran of Usman (7AD) which was brought to Samarqand by Amir Timur in 14 Century. No photos are allowed in the museum though. After that, we drove to Chorsu Bazaar aka Eski Juva Bazaar. Before shopping, we went in search of a bank to exchange money and where I finally changed money into Uzbekistan Som. I was going to change USD40 but thought it was too much so changed only USD30. After all, the bazaar was closing at 6. We then set upon the task of buying our souvenirs: ceramic plates with pomegranate design and some honey for me. I finally bought four plates (dang heavy!) and Elzod offered to get me some honey. I paid USD10 for the honey.


Khazret Imam 
Not supposed to take photo but I took a quick snap of this Quran in Hebrew with my iPad *shhh*


After the shopping was done, we took the metro from Chorsu station to Alisher Navai (a beautiful station named after a poet) where we walked to Pakhtakor (literally means cotton grower) station and took the train to Bunyodkor. We had dinner at Olmazor Restaurant and had norin, a horse meat and noodles dish. Wow, it was quite rich and I could barely eat more than a few spoonfuls. We dropped by a nearby supermarket before taking the metro back to the hotel.

Thursday, 28 December 2017

We woke up early and had breakfast in the huge hotel restaurant. We checked out at 09:30 and drive to Chimgan, a ski resort, about two hours away. Elzod’s uncle who is the GM of the local tour company drove us there. Upon arrival, we took the chairlift up. Both Nit and I were sporting inappropriate footwear (Converse All Stars for me) but well no snow was going to stop us! We spent about an hour up there before returning down to the bottom and after dealing with persistent photographers who were trying to sell the photos they took of us, we went to the car park where Elzod’s uncle was waiting. We then drove through some village and after a while came upon Chorvoq Lake. We stopped for a short while before continuing on.

We stopped at a small town and went up to a restaurant. I was heading for the washroom when I met some Singaporeans who were about to perform prayers. I asked if it was ok and they said they had asked permission to do so and the restaurant had allocated some space for them to do so. I decided to join them as I was sure we would reach Tashkent just before dark.

After a satisfying lunch, we drove back to Tashkent. Nit was content to converse and I was happy to let her talk while I read my book. Suddenly the conversation steered around the richest man in Uzbekistan and I asked, ‘Is it Alisher Usmanov?’ and they said yes (to be honest, I can’t recall Alisher’s nationality and was just guessing). I said that I knew of him as he has shares in Arsenal. The things football teach you.

We reached Tashkent at around 5 and went to collect our bags from the store room. Nit was supposed to collect the bags but she decided to browse the hotel shop first (WTH) so I took back the bag tags and went to find the man manning the concierge. After getting our bags, I wheeled them to Nit and took mine to the washroom to change. I took all of five minutes to use the bathroom and change and Nit had still not finished browsing the hotel shop. And then I had to wait for the longest time while she went to visit the bathroom. Honestly, surely people should be more considerate and thoughtful when they travel with someone else.

We then drove to the airport, stopping en route for Elzod to run and buy us some beef burgers (I tell you, meat and the Uzbeks cannot be separated!). There was a horrible jam at the airport car park entrance and we only cleared it after 15 minutes. Elzod helped show us the way to departure and we then said goodbye, wished him good luck and gave him a little tip. The check-in counters were late in opening so while waiting, we used the washroom and I performed prayers too. No prayer room is provided so I performed prayers in the vast open space outside the washroom (and I had finished Maghrib and Isya’ prayers before Nit emerged from the bathroom).

We then checked in, filled up another declaration form and went through immigration and security. I wanted to change back the remaining UZS I had (easily USD5) but the money changer said I couldn’t sell off my UZS so I had no choice but to buy fridge magnets (I’ve not bought fridge magnets for some trips now). Our flight was delayed and we finally boarded and took about an hour later than scheduled.

Friday, 29 December 2017


We landed in Singapore after 8 and after a short transit, we boarded the plane back to KL. The plane would continue on back to Tashkent after a bit of transit in KL. We landed at 10:15 and I was reunited with my bag an hour later.