Tuesday, November 07, 2017

A Short Trip

I had been planning this trip since September following a tip from my colleague. I decided to make the trip last Saturday as I already had plans for my weekends up to then.

I had wanted to leave micasa at 07:15 (yes!) but I only managed to leave half an hour later. I just about managed to catch the bus as it was leaving the station to the city hall. From there, I walked to Puduraya. I knew there are direct buses going to where I was heading (fare at RM10) but as none was at the platform yet, I decided to ride the bus to Seremban first and changing buses there. And it was a good decision for the bus departed within five minutes. The fare to Seremban was RM6.

We reached Seremban an hour later at 09:30. I was directed to the Bahau-bound bus stand (when I looked closely, the bus at the next bus stand would also stop at Kuala Pilah). I had just missed the 09:20 bus (the bus was at 10:00). The advertised fare was RM6.xx to Bahau (so it could be less for Kuala Pilah)and as I only had RM4 in small change, I went to ask some counters if they could break my note but no one was willing to help. I turned back and a chap asked me where I was heading. I said, ‘Kuala Pilah,’ and he told me the bus he was selling tickets for (Gopi Bus) was heading there. And the fare was exactly RM4. The bus left within a couple of minutes so I was lucky again.

We pulled into Kuala Pilah bus station less than an hour later. It turned out that it was a good decision to depart when I did as the shops were only opening. I walked to the main road, Jalan Dato’, and walked along it to visit the gold shops there. Like I said before, it was still early morning but there were already quite a few customers at the shops. And guess what, the gold there is only RM169/gram! Lower than in KB!

There were perhaps half a dozen shops in total so I didn’t spend too long there. I ventured to the market and Masjid Jamek Yamtuan Raden before turning back. I noticed two shops selling pet food and bought some cat food at the second shop before returning to the bus station just before noon. I bought a ticket for a bus to KL and as the bus was only due at 12:30, I went to check out the farmers’ market down a flight of stairs from the bus station. The sellers were mainly packing up then.



A couple of local sleepyheads
Must say the town is pretty well-linked


Our bus came early and we left at 12:28. Despite lagging behind some lorries, we managed to reach Seremban by 13:30. Unfortunately, those of us bound for KL had to change buses. The bus to KL was due to depart at 13:40 but left a couple of minutes later no thanks to last-minute passengers. And where I was lucky before, I was not as lucky on the return leg. The traffic out of Seremban was a nightmare! It didn’t help that we had to pass some traffic lights and junctions. We only entered the highway at 14:10 and then we had to endure another slow-moving traffic trying to enter KL. While it was an hour-long trip to Seremban, it was a 90-minute trip back to KL and it made me wonder why everyone was heading for KL.


Despite this, I will be back. Not so soon though as I have to wait until I’m flush and it must be outside of school holidays and festive seasons. Not in January-March, maybe not April either. May and June are fasting and Eid months so it might be in July 2018. My birthday month, how apt! Oh well, I’m in no hurry (I just hope the gold price will hold on until then!). Although there is that stupid traffic nightmare out of Seremban to endure all over again, it still beats any bus trip to KB.