Friday, March 20, 2015

A Whole New World: Jordan

I once dreamed of being by the Dead Sea and gazing out to Israel beyond and I finally realised my dream when I went to Jordan. But Petra and the Dead Sea aside, Jordan offers a bit of something to everyone. Culture, heritage, a rich history, nature, a different experience, hospitality... I don’t know when my next visit there will be but there must be a second trip as there are still a few places I want to go and things I want to do in Jordan. Mind you, it’s not a cheap country especially with the very weak Ringgit and strong greenback but you can get by. Yes, we brought USD; I went to four moneychangers and rang up two and none stocked Jordanian Dinar so USD it was. We also had to change money at the airport as we had to pay for the visa upon entry and as it was a Saturday when we arrived, we didn’t know if the moneychangers in Aqaba would be open. And of course you wouldn’t find a money changer at Rum Village or Wadi Rum, would you.

Two complaints though: why aren’t people more aware of how they dispose of their rubbish? You see litter everywhere, even at tourist sites and at the hills near Mount Nebo. Don’t let me start on the horse and donkey droppings. And why can’t people be more responsible visitors? Why aren’t people more aware of their impact on the ruins? You see them climbing up and clambering around ruins without regard of their effect of their action on the ancient structures.


But don’t let that deter you from going. Matt has his reasons here and here why you should visit and I agree with him.