Thursday, November 06, 2014

Day Trip: Kuala Selangor and Sekinchan

I am on a financial diet this quarter (it’s a long story and I shall spare you) and as I still had my travel itch, I decided to go on a day trip to Kuala Selangor and Sekinchan (my first time there evah!). So on 11 October 2014, ZS and I drove to Kuala Selangor. We had to drive the mess that is Sungai Buluh en route and although we left considerably early, the traffic had built up by the time we reached Sungai Buluh.

We arrived at Kuala Selangor at 10 and headed for Bukit Malawati. After finding a parking spot at the nearby block of shops, we climbed up the hill. Oh, you can take the train up but we decided to walk instead. It wasn’t at all a strenuous climb and I was glad we did it as we found interesting geology along the way. I sighted some cannons and climbed up and gingerly made my way along the slope. The lighthouse and the Historical Museum of Kuala Selangor District were just around the corner.

We went into the museum and spent some time there before checking out the cannons outside the museum grounds which were pointing to the sea in the hazy distance. After that, we walked along the path to Malawati Fort. There were quite a few people posing with and feeding the monkeys before the fort. The monkeys were mild and not at all vicious as those at Bako National Park. Strangely enough, the fort was deserted. We spent about 20 minutes there before making our way down.

We then drove on to Sekinchan and turned into a randomly chosen road. We drove along and among the paddy fields until we reached Masjid As-Solihin where we performed prayers. We then drove on before turning into another road. The green paddy fields gave a serene calm comforting peaceful feeling to me.

We left Sekinchan and drove back to Kuala Selangor stopping en route to buy some fish sausages. We also had some cendol durian at a restaurant near to the restaurant selling the fish sausages. Then we continued on and stopped at a restaurant at Jalan Kuala Selangor (just before Jalan Rawang) for some prawn noodles. Let me just say that if you happened to pass by, do yourself a favour: just drive on and give it a miss. It was so disappointing and not at all worth the price.


We took LATAR back to Kuala Lumpur. I must say it was an enjoyable trip, horrible tasteless prawn noodles notwithstanding, and can envisage a return trip. Oh, I skipped the fireflies sighting as I wasn’t keen on being bitten by evil mosquitoes. But who knows, maybe next time I’ll give it a try.