Monday, June 02, 2014

The Best Laid Scheme Of Mice And Men (Or Rather, Me): Part I

This plan was hatched nine months prior and the ticket was bought in early September after having determined the public holidays of May and having studied the Premier League fixtures. The itinerary was drawn out slowly and apart from reshuffling the destinations in terms of their order, the plan was more or less formed in January 2014. I delayed purchasing the regional tickets and match tickets until early April 2014 (and even then, still had to make changes when the footie fixtures were changed) and only booked London accommodation in February 2014. Accommodation at destinations was also booked from February 2014.

Friday, 25 April 2014

I was supposed to depart later tonight; however, read the text sent by MAS advising that the flight had been delayed to 05:00 the next morning just before sitting down to dinner. A quick frantic call to MAS was made to confirm situation and to assess my other options. They could bump me into the flight bound for Paris or Istanbul; however, I still needed to find a subsequent flight out if I were to stick to my schedule. Told the MAS customer service I would call back if I decided to fly to Paris (another problem is that I had already dropped my bag off at the KL CAT in the morning...). I had a quick dinner - truth be told, I had already lost my appetite by then but forced myself to eat because I didn’t want to risk getting gastritis. After dinner, I quickly assessed other options available. Dad suggested going to Akak’s so at least she and my bro-in-law could send me to the airport early the next morning. We left at 21:30.

We reached Akak’s about an hour later no thanks to the crazy mad Friday evening traffic. Bought new flight ticket, changed the airport transfer and altered my accommodation booking. Only went to bed at a quarter to midnight and even then I had problems falling asleep.

Saturday, 26 April 2014

KUL-LHR

I probably slept all of an hour because I was up again before 2 am and despite my begs efforts, sleep just wouldn’t come. Finally got up at a quarter to 3 to get ready. We left for KLIA at 03:15. The airport was deserted when we arrived and having only my cabin bag (backpack), I went in immediately. We had all boarded the plane by 05:10 but the flight only took off at 05:40.

After performing prayers, I tried to sleep but well, I’ve never had much luck sleeping on flights and this was no exception. I refused to watch any inflight movie as I didn’t want to keep myself awake unnecessarily (even though sleep was elusive) so I just shut my eyes and willed for sleep to come. To no avail. Sigh.

We landed at a quarter to noon and I rushed off to clear immigration. The bag was late in coming out (well, it being an A380, of course there were more passengers and consequently more bags). I then rushed to take the tube to Earl's Court. Despite my best efforts, the easyBus was late and as a result, I only arrived at Gatwick 10 minutes after bag drop-off had closed. Well, just my effing luck again. Had to pay £60 to change my ticket to the next morning.

I was too knackered that I didn’t have problem dozing off. I couldn’t sleep soundly but I did manage to catch a couple of hours or so of sleep.

Sunday, 27 April 2014

LGW-PMO

Woke up after 4 and went to perform prayers. After prayers, I went to drop off my bag. The queue was long but very fast. I cleared security and made my way to the gate quickly, not wanting to miss the flight again. We left grey drizzling Gatwick behind and took off on time. I managed to catch some kip on the way. We landed at Palermo Airport just before 11:00. You can either take the train to the train station from the airport (it’s hourly though) or the airport bus to the train station. I wanted to take the train but the ticket machine only accepted coins r card (no paper bills!) so I made my way to the bus stop. Now, on weekdays, there are buses directly from a Palermo Airport to Agrigento where I was heading but not on Sundays so I had to take a train to Agrigento. Otherwise, it’s just one bus ride. Instead, I had to take a bus from the airport to the train station and a train to Agrigento.

We arrived at Agrigento some two hours later and I made my way up the stupid steep hills of the city, huffing and puffing and panting hard to B&B Amélie but when I got there half-dead, there was no one there. I rang the doorbell many times and even borrowed an elderly neighbour's phone but no one picked up. Finally, after 20 minutes of frustration, I left my suitcase and went to find B&B Fiore di Girgenti (which I had actually booked earlier and then cancelled) to ask if there was any available room. Finally, I was in luck. There was a room left and it was a family room. The owner wanted €35 and I was only too happy to pay it. I got a large room with a double bed and two single beds, a mini kitchenette and en-suite bathroom (the room I booked earlier and then cancelled was a single room with shared bathroom). I trudged back up to B&B Amélie to get my suitcase.

After freshening up and performing prayers, I went to check out the town. It’s a pretty hilly town and you’d really need to be climbing stairs - there's no avoiding them! I noticed there's a sizeable Muslim minority there, I don’t know if they are descendants of the island’s long-ago Arab settlers or if they are immigrants from Tunisia. There is also a sizeable African community, hardly surprising seeing Sicily is very near to Africa.

I returned to my room just after dark and had dinner. Tried to switch the TV on but couldn’t seem to get the remote to work. The TV was mounted above the door and it was too much effort getting to it. Anyway, I needed sleep.

Monday, 28 April 2014

I woke up for morning prayers after a good night’s sleep. After breakfast, I checked out. The owner helped to store my bags (€2 to store bags) and gave me the keys to access the storage place. I walked up to the train station to get the bus to the Temples. Bus tickets were bought at the train station bar (€1.20 one way). Traffic was already building up outside the train station and tempers were flying. There were a few bus services running to the temples and they were all late and I hopped on the first one that came along.

The journey took slightly longer than scheduled and I reached the temple entrance (after panicking if the bus had passed by it) about 10 minutes later. I bought a combination ticket (the temples and the archaeological museum) for €13.50. Locals and EU citizens pay a lot less of course. I went in and walked to the Temple of Concordia, the Temple of Hera and the Temple of Ercole. After that, I crossed over to the Temples of Zeus and Dioskouroi. After having my fill of the ruins, I walked out and walked up the road to the archaeological museum. I spent close to two hours there.

I returned back to Agrigento and bought lunch. Just like the Amalfi, Sicily also observes siesta and most shops were closed after 1 pm. I decided to walk to the bus station and wait there for my 15:30 bus to Gela. The bus turned out to be small mini-van like and some passengers had to stand for about 25 minutes.


A resident of Agrigento


The bus pulled into Gela station at 17:10. A couple helped determine for me that there was no bus service to Ragusa but there was a train service to Siracusa at 17:42 which will pass through Ragusa so I bought a ticket. We arrived at Ragusa station at 1903 and I made my way to B&B Gilda at via Delle Palme just off via Archimede. Ragusa is made up of two parts: Ragusa Superior and Ragusa Ibla. My B&B was in Ragusa Superior. After checking in and paying for my room (there’s a city tax of €1), I went out into the evening and walked to Corso Italia before returning to the B&B.

There were 60+ TV channels but none, absolutely none, was showing the Arsenal-Newcastle match.


To be continued