Friday, June 13, 2014

No More ‘I Love You’s’

Let me just state what’s on my mind now. Yes, I wanted us to re-sign Cesc because come on, he’s still one of the best midfielders in the world and I’d rather him play with us than with any of our rivals. And face it, a lot of clubs would be salivating at the thought of signing him. No club would rationally pass up the opportunity to sign him up and even if we still disagree on how he left and how he engineered that move, I still would have him back. After all, we all knew he wanted to leave and play for his boyhood club and anyone given the opportunity to play for that club - especially if he’s been a lifelong supporter of it - would not pass up the opportunity. There was the opportunity to play with the annoying Xavi, Iniesta and Messi versus the choice of continued stagnation with the likes of Song, Eboue, Arshavin and Bendtner. If he went somewhere else, he would in all likelihood improve that team. I doubted if he would have been in the way of any one player’s development and besides, we also have a few ageing players ourselves.

So it was with some shock when Cesc confirmed last night that he has signed for Chelshit. I haven’t totally been living under a rock, I did know of Chelshit’s interest but didn’t think what I feared would turn out to be true. And yes I hate the idea of him signing for that classless club and playing under Maureen.

But what would Cesc have done? We didn’t want him back. He’s no longer wanted at FCB. At his age, only just 27, should he just stop playing? Of course not. He’s a footballer, playing football is his career, and surely he would not cut short his career because we didn’t want him back.

I don’t want to doubt Wenger’s decision not to bring Cesc back whatever his reason is and I doubt it was because he has some grudge against Cesc. I accept that Wenger is more informed about the situation and has given it a lot of rational thought. His decisions may seem bizarre at times but I do not doubt that he makes them at what he thinks is in the best interest of Arsenal. I’m not saying I’m happy, I’m not saying I accept Cesc playing for Chelshit but I accept that Wenger would be in a better position to make informed decision that I am. Perhaps Wenger thinks it’s not the right time for Cesc to return, perhaps he thinks Cesc would benefit more from playing at another club (before he returns. Yes, even after all that’s happened, I guess I’m still hopeful that he’ll return), perhaps perhaps perhaps.

And besides, I think Cesc is somewhat to blame. He should not have left like how and when he did (yes, I understand why he wanted to leave but I still think he shouldn’t have left when he did). I also think that his current partner is somewhat to blame. OK, I confess, I hate her. I never thought she’s a good influence on him at all.

Goodbye Cesc. I’m sorry that I’m not noble enough to wish you good luck at your new club. I have unfollowed you from twitter and removed you from this blog’s wallpaper because I don’t follow Chelshit players and I won’t have one on my blog wallpaper. You already broke my heart when you left three years ago and you can’t hurt me anymore, not after I took so long to get over you. I rang my munchkin nephew this morning to tell him about it and he said, ‘You were the one who liked him.’ I said, ‘Yes. That was then.’ He then added, ‘It’s OK. We still have Ozil.’ ‘And Ramsey,’ I agreed.

And now, what the heck am I going to do with the jerseys with Cesc’s name on them??? 

~~~~~~~

Ramsey signed for us today back in 2008.