Thursday, November 21, 2013

26 Hours In Penang

Shortly after last month’s Penang trip, I discovered there would be yet another Interlull weekend and toyed with another return trip to Penang. And why not. I enjoyed Georgetown, I love old buildings and I love the way the Penangites restore their old buildings. So after much thought, I bought another return ticket – departing on Saturday morning this time instead of Friday evening - but as much as I wanted to return to my boutique guesthouse where I stayed at previously, I couldn’t as it was full. Well, the Penang Bridge International Marathon would also take place on the same weekend. So I had to search for another hotel, one in Georgetown but not too far away from the bus terminal at KOMTAR. After my previous guesthouse, I was keen to explore another boutique hotel and finally I decided to book Hotel Penaga. It’s quite pricey but as I would only be in Penang for one night, it wasn’t too painful.

So I flew out last Saturday morning (16 November 2013). It was a long taxi along the runway before we lifted off for take-off due to the long take-off queue at KLIA that morning. We landed at 1015 and although I rushed off, I still had to endure a wait at the bus stop as bus no. 102 would only depart at 1100. I had to pick up something at One-Stop Midlands Park Centre so I had to take the bus bound for Pulau Tikus. The fare from the airport was RM3.40.

It was a long bus ride but I didn’t quite mind it as I had a thick novel to immerse myself in. I was, however, getting increasingly irritated with a girl who was talking non-stop to her poor boyfriend in her high-pitched squeaky irritating voice. She didn’t stop yakking the whole journey and I sympathised with the poor young man for having to put up with her. We finally reached Gurney Paragon Mall about 70 minutes later. I got down and walked through the mall and as nothing particularly caught my fancy, hurried on to Gurney Plaza. As I was already hungry by then, I went to look for lunch first.

I left after lunch and after checking the directory (I was surprised to note there was no Swatch store at Gurney Plaza) and walked over to One Stop Midlands Park Centre. Having concluded my business, I took the bus back to KOMTAR and from there, walked to Hutton Street where my hotel was. I reached the hotel at 1440 and after checking in and the obligatory photo taking, rushed off to Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion. There’s a guided tour at 3 pm and I was determined not to miss it. I reached the mansion less than ten minutes later and joined the crowd after purchasing the ticket (it cost RM12).

The tour lasted an hour and we went to a few sections of the house. I know Cheong Fatt Tze wasn’t a baba and therefore I shouldn’t be comparing his mansion to Pinang Peranakan Mansion but of the two, I enjoyed the latter so much more. To me, Pinang Peranakan Mansion has a richer cultural element and because practically the whole mansion is opened to visitors, I have a deeper sense of understanding and appreciation of the baba and nyonya culture and life back then. There are also more furniture and more things to see, appreciate and value at the Pinang Peranakan Mansion, giving me a richer fuller and more colourful experience. Oh well, at least I’ve done both now.

I walked back to the hotel to perform prayers and have a brief rest. After a cuppa and a bun, I set off again, determined to hunt down the cat murals. I managed to find them all save for two cat figures (not murals). I then walked along Lebuh Chulia and even ventured to Love Lane (all the time wondering at the name). After that, I went to find dinner and in the end, had it at Ee Beng Vegetarian Food Restaurant. The day’s specials were Mee Jawa and Bak Kut Teh. Hey, it’s not as if I could have Bak Kut Teh on any normal circumstances so I ordered that, a plate of rojak (the peanut sauce was so spicy!) and kiwi juice. After that, I returned to the hotel to rest. I tried out the Jacuzzi (bliss!) and then settled down for the night, curled up in the cosy bed with my novel. Unfortunately, the guests above my room had different ideas. I didn’t know what they were attempting to do but whatever it was, it sounded like a mini stampede and a mini earthquake rolled together. I couldn’t stand it and even called up the reception to complain. Hey, it cost seriously good money to stay there and as a paying guest, I was entitled to enjoy a peaceful and quiet stay. Otherwise, I might as well stay at a backpackers’ hostel. And I stay at hostels a lot so no, it’s not as if I’m being snobbish about it all. But seriously, if you can’t behave, then either stay home or stay elsewhere. Just because you pay good money to stay somewhere doesn’t give you the right to thrash the room and create public disturbance.

I woke up on Sunday morning to perform morning prayers to continued thumping from the room above. I tried to sleep back after prayers but sleep was elusive so I finally got up to shower and get ready. I only went down for breakfast after 0915 as I didn’t want to get hungry too soon. The hotel’s long rectangle pool is right next to the table I sat at in the restaurant and it was probably because of this that no one was swimming. After breakfast, I went up to the third floor to check out the room above mine but when I saw the hotel staff there, I knew the inconsiderate imbeciles had already checked out.

I checked out at 1030 and just before leaving, reiterated my complaint about the guests above my room to the reception. They checked and said the guests had checked (which I already knew anyway). Then I left and walked to KOMTAR bus terminal, taking a different route. The route turned out to be better that way so I was glad I took the risk. The bus to the airport was already waiting so I hurried over to board it.

We reached the airport less than 45 minutes later and I immediately went in. I got a little confused when the flight before ours was called as the numbers were close (MH1143 while mine was MH1145). A former colleague whom I met at the boarding gate said the earlier flight was probably delayed to allow those affected by road closures due to the Penang Bridge International Marathon to reach the airport and make their flight. He himself crossed over from the mainland and did so immediately after the bridge was reopened. MH1143 finally took off at 12 noon (it was actually scheduled to depart at 1045) so I was glad I didn’t choose that flight back this time (I chose that flight on my return trip last month) only to have it pushed to a different departure time. Ours took off at 1245 and we landed at KLIA an hour later. It took me five minutes of walking like a possessed girl to get from our gate to the KLIA Express platform; I was possessed and determined alright to get the 2 pm train back to KL Sentral. Heh.


I’m looking forward to my next short trip to Penang. Hope to cover the Interactive Museum and finally murder the long overdue bowl of prawn noodles then!