Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Once Upon A Time In China, Part II: Guilin, Guanxi Province

Monday, 16 September 2013

We had breakfast in the hotel as there is a halal restaurant there. After breakfast, we drove to Shangri-la Park about 15 km from Yangshuo, a park showcasing the minority people (primarily the Miao and Dong). In the park, we boarded boats to cross the lake and visit a cave. Along the boat ride, we were treated to folk performances from the minority people. We also participated in a folk dance and a game to win the silk balls (didn’t win though).

After Shangri-la, we visited a bamboo factory. The Chinese have invented quite a few inventions from the humble bamboo tree – bed linen, t-shirts, innerwear... and we were given some demonstration to show the wonders of those inventions and later some time to purchase the bamboo products. We then drove back to Guilin for lunch. Thank God, for I was sufficiently hungry after all that bamboo stuff. Lunch was had at Endian Halal Restaurant again. No complaints as there were some cute lads in the restaurants. Our tour leader, Zali, also packed some raw meat and chicken from the restaurant for our dinner that evening and lunch the following day at Merryland Theme Park Resort as there was no halal restaurant at the resort.

After lunch, we visited a silk factory and given a demonstration on silk quilts. There has been improvements in the technique and technology of making silk quilts (wouldn’t you know) and I was sufficiently persuaded to purchase one (oh no!) and part with a bulk of my money...

After the silk factory, we drove on to Xingan and it was such a hot afternoon that I felt drowsy and dozed off most of the way there, despite the bad road conditions and the honks liberally applied by our driver.

We reached Merryland Theme Park Resort at about 5 and checked in. We enjoyed free speedy WiFi here; alas Twitter, YouTube and Facebook are banned in China. SM and I then went for a walk around the hotel grounds (it looked deserted enough although we did meet a group from Indonesia). We headed for dinner at 1930 before retiring to our rooms later. Dinner was prepared by Zali and I must say, it was quite good for we finished everything.

Tuesday, 17 September 2013

This morning, after breakfast, we walked over to the adjoining Merryland Theme Park. Some of our tour mates opted to ride the park’s buggy (there’s a charge for this. I have never taken a buggy in a theme park before, not when I have two good legs). The theme park was also deserted and we walked around, practically having the park to ourselves. We sighted the theme mascots and took pictures with them; SM then wanted to take a photo wearing a traditional Chinese costume and while we were waiting for her photo to be developed, she took some of me too in my casual wear but with the studio background. I then rode a rollercoaster all alone (seriously, where were the other park guests??) then both SM and I rode another ride together. I was feeling increasingly uncomfortable as I was perspiring heavily (it was too hot and there was hardly any breeze) and hurried back to the room to shower again.

We left after lunch (again, cooked by Zali) and headed back to Guilin. We stopped at a traditional medical centre and spent some time there before making our way to Hotel Universal Guilin. We were given an hour to freshen up. Dinner was had at the restaurant where we had lunch on the day we arrived in Guilin. After dinner, we went for an acrobatic show called Mirage Guilin at Lijiang Theatre. The show lasted an hour and I thought it was way better than the show at Yangshuo. Oh well, maybe I’m in the minority in this thinking.




We returned to the hotel and SM and I ventured out again to the pedestrians only shopping area. We returned to the hotel well after 11 pm, after checking out the area near to the hotel (it reminds me of Bukit Bintang area with its various massage centres).

Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Another breakfast at Endian Halal Restaurant before we set off for Elephant Trunk Hill Park, so called because the shape of the hill resembles that of an elephant drinking water from the river with its trunk. We spent 45 minutes here before continuing on to a tea showroom where we were given guide to drinking three types of tea: the Osmanthus tea, the Oolong tea and Pu Er tea. I didn’t buy anything because I’m bad at buying food and not consuming them.

After the tea experience, we went to a jade showroom. I had been wanting to replace my jade bangle and spent time browsing before enlisting Alex’s help (told you the locals hardly speak any English). I finally bought one and bargained the price down (despite the ‘Fixed Price, Nor Bargaining’ signs around. I know it can be done because I had done it before) and after consulting the manager and much Mandarin consultation, they agreed to let me have it at my bargained down price. Success! Alhamdulillah.

Our next stop was at a silk shop but we were there all of ten minutes before we left. Lunch was next, yes, at Endian Halal Restaurant again (the food was better there and the chaps in the restaurants were good-looking so no complaints from me) and then we paid the nearby mosque a short visit before heading to the South Sea Pearl Museum (museum? Indeed, that was the name). I already have enough pearl necklaces and bracelets and a pair of pearl earrings (I wouldn’t protest if someone wanted to buy me a pearl ring) so was just content to browse and admire the gorgeous pearl jewellery there. We stayed for close to 45 minutes before making our way back to the hotel to rest. Not enough time to grab a siesta though. We went to the lobby at 7 and walked to a nearby halal stall selling ‘hand-pulled noodles’. I had mine in broth and must say I enjoyed it very much.

Back to the hotel to meet a local woman who came to sell us souvenirs and then we left again and headed for the night market. I managed to buy some silk fans and an embroidered panel of some water-lilies at the night market. There were some seriously rude sellers at the night markets and I got a bit angry and scolded one of them. Really, there was no need to be so bloody rude. We then walked to the massage centre where we had massage on the first night but apparently, the prices quoted for walk-in customers differed from what we were told on our visit that we left after 15 frustrating minutes of attempted conversation. We headed back to the hotel and settled in for the night.

Thursday, 19 September 2013

We left at 0715 and headed to Endian Halal Restaurant for breakfast. After breakfast, we drove to the airport. We reached the airport just after 9 and lined up our bags for checking in. We had to put our bags through the security check before going for the group check-in counter and as weak and hungry as I was getting (yes, despite the breakfast just consumed!), I helped with the lifting of bags of some tour members and then I helped the useless man assigned to sort out our passports and boarding passes. Really, men can’t be trusted to do anything at all.

After all that had been done and the bags all checked in, we went through immigration and waited at the boarding area. Thankfully, there were only two shops there and I wasn’t tempted to shop. We boarded after 1115. I read and even managed to nap before resuming reading.

We landed at 1515 and I rushed to clear immigration. The bags were out after ten minutes or so and after shaking hands with some of my tour mates, I rushed off and just about made it for the 1545 bus back to KL Sentral.