Thursday, February 07, 2013

Walk Like An Egyptian: Second Step

Monday, 28 January 2013

I woke up a few times in the night and once to use the toilet. It was a good thing we didn’t share the car with any Chinese tourists; the next car was full of them and their toilets stank to high heavens. I’m not being racist – not when I’m forever mistaken as one myself - but merely stating the fact. And because I couldn’t sleep again, I decided to get up at 5 to use the toilet before performing ablutions.

Well, I got stuck this time around and was trapped in there for about 5 minutes. It was noisy and even though someone heard me from outside and vice-versa, I couldn’t make out what was said to me and I’m sure s/he couldn’t understand what I was trying to say either. I finally managed to escape after struggling with the lock and praying hard. Good thing the toilet didn’t stink too strongly.

We pulled into Aswan station at 1030 and our local guide, Ahmed, was already waiting for us. The Nubians are natives in Aswan and our guide was dark himself. He’s not a Nubian though (Nubians are darker). Aswan is Egypt’s hottest, driest city and indeed, it is one of the driest inhabited towns in the world. You can go through a year or two without rain and yet it rained that morning before we arrived.

Aswan is rich in granite – it enabled the ancient Egyptians to build their pyramids, obelisks and sarcophaguses - and we were immediately taken to the unfinished obelisk. I could sense that the guide would be a very friendly informative chap the minute we had settled in the bus as he pointed out the river, the Elephantine Island, the Coptic Church, the military hospital and the cemetery (conveniently located diagonally across the hospital!). The unfinished obelisk is the largest known ancient obelisk in the world, claimed to be constructed by the female pharaoh Hatshepsut (she was one of only two female pharaohs; the other one being Cleopatra). It was abandoned though when cracks appeared in the granite. Granite is a hard material and only a certain stone could cut it out. We spent about 30 minutes there.

We then went to the pier where our ship was docked but not before a brief stop to enable our two colleagues to change money and buy some provisions. Our ship was called La Bohème and was supposedly an upgrade. However, we faced check-in problems and while we had our rooms assigned quickly and ready for us, we could not get in until the problems were resolved in Cairo. It wasn’t until after we had finished performing prayers (the ship manager kindly allocated a room for us to perform ablutions and prayers) that our check-in problems were resolved finally. We had a lovely comfortable five-star hotel boat room (cabin?) with a bathroom and a balcony (although it was too chilly to sit outside). We spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the deck with its swimming pool and loungers and resting. Just like lunch, dinner was had on board.




Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Bullet The Blue Sky

An early morning start today as we wanted to go on a trip to Abu Simbel. We left the ship at 5 and performed prayers in the van. For security reasons, we also had to travel in convoy to Abu Simbel and gathered near the unfinished obelisk before setting off for Abu Simbel. Abu Simbel is 280 km from Aswan and is near to the border with Sudan. It took us 2.5 hours to get there (including an unscheduled pit-stop at a rudimentary hospital (clinic?) to use the WC). It was a good thing we stopped too for the queue for the WC at Abu Simbel was oh too long.

There are two massive rock temples at Abu Simbel: the temples of Ramesses II and Nefertari, his most beloved of many wives. The first and much larger temple features four large statues of Ramesses II in the façade in varying age. The second statues have the statues of the pharaoh and his wife. Our guide spent a lot of time at all the temples we stopped at explaining about the pharaohs, the gods they worshipped (Ra, Amun, Amun-Ra, Hathor. Then there are the other gods: Osiris, Isis, Seth and Nephthys. And just as you began to grasp them, there were yet other gods like Horus, Anubis, Thoth...), the double crowns they wore (symbolising Upper and Lower Egypt), the wives of the pharaohs, how to tell between a pharaoh’s mother and his wife, how to tell between a god and a pharaoh, the scenes on any one temple reliefs, the significance of the scenes, the ankh, the scarab, the holy of holies, the cartouches and difference between a god’s cartouche and a pharaoh’s, the difference between an Egyptian temple and a Graeco-Roman temple... like I said, he’s very informative. It’s clear he loves his heritage, the history of his country and all that makes up the history and he wants to share them all with us. Oh and by the way, the Abu Simbel temples were relocated to their present sites when they were under threat of the rising Nile following the construction of the Aswan High Dam.


I’m sure the pharaohs all had this


Ahmed had told us to meet at the restaurant near the exit at 0945 but I found my colleagues at the shops instead. Shopping, what else? I bought some postcards and that was enough for me. We finally left after 10 am and drove back to our ship.

The ship was scheduled to depart Aswan at 1330 but because the Chinese group on our ship returned late, we only set off an hour later (yes, I took note of the time). I spent the afternoon in our room, resting and reading.

We docked at Kom Ombo, Ahmed’s hometown, at 5.30 pm. It was dusk when we walked up to Kom Ombo temple, a double temple built during the Ptolemaic dynasty. The southern half of the temple was dedicated to the crocodile god Sobek (yet another name to confuse us!) while the northern half was dedicated to the falcon god Horus. It was a pity that the night was falling fast because I would have loved to explore the temple more. We were given only 20 minutes or so before we were to meet at the nearby crocodile museum before returning to our ship.

The ship left Kom Ombo and sailed into the night.

Wednesday, 30 January 2013


♪♫ I can feel the devil walking next to me ♪♫


I dreamt I was back at boarding school for a brief while. In the next scene, I was leaving the office just before 7 pm (there was a clock in my dream!). I then went to queue at the ATM which was located up a water tank but abandoned my queue and walked along the street instead. Across the street, some boys were playing baseball. A cat came up to me and brushed against my feet and suddenly I started to jog and the cat trotted along next to me. As I passed the boys, someone said Tommy’s name - in full, no less - and I remembered thinking ‘Oh come on’. Then I entered another building and climbed up. Somehow I knew the building was haunted (so why did I enter it?) and asked a cleaning lady what time her shift ended. She looked at me to reply but was shocked by something next to me. The ghost! It was standing next to me, I could feel it. I started reciting al-Kursi and then I felt the ghost reaching out to me and grasping my left hand. I could feel her strong hold, it seemed so real. I repeated my recital twice more so loudly that I woke up myself and my mate. Phew! It was a nightmare after all. Maybe the ghosts haunting Kom Ombo or any of the two temples at Abu Simbel decided to haunt me. And of course you still have to haunt my dreams don’t you. Really, we have got to stop meeting in my dreams like this. And I hope, I hope that I still haunt your dreams, more often than you do mine, and I hope I leave you gasping awake when you get up. Every time.

Back to the present world: we had reached Edfu and I saw the town when I looked out. We headed out at 7 am and rode horse-pulled carriages to Edfu Temple. It had rained the night before and the streets were wet and muddy. Dedicated to the falcon god Horus, Edfu Temple was built in the Ptolemaic period. Our guide led us to the temple and began explaining to us about its history, about the scenes on the reliefs, the holy of holies... He even assigned roles to us to make us understand better (not sure if it worked but I really appreciated his time and effort in educating us). He then gave us free time to explore the temple.

We met at the coffee shop before riding the carriages back to our respective ship. I do hope the boy who handled our horse-carriage would receive payment as I had no small change to give him (and we were already warned not to give any money to them. But still...).

We set off for Luxor. There was no more pit-stop today until we reach Luxor. I spent the day reading and then joining the rest to see the ship go through the lock at Esna. Oh, and there were the boat vendors too along the way to the lock, chasing our ship and urging us to buy their wares. That was a nice entertainment and it reminded me of other persistent vendors in other places. 

Mohamed who’s buddy with the ship manager took us for a brief visit to the captain this afternoon. He had his young son with him as it was holiday time. The son would one day take over the ship. 

After dinner tonight, we walked across the other ships docked alongside ours to the pier and explored the area. There wasn’t much to see although I did manage to buy another bottle of cough syrup.

To be continued