Tuesday, July 03, 2012

June/July Road Trip

Abah had suggested that we go on a trip to celebrate the birthdays of the July girls (my sister, my niece and myself). The options were either last weekend or the 14 July weekend but as Akak was visiting la niña at her boarding school last weekend and taking her for an overnight outing, it was decided that our birthday outing would be then instead of the latter. I had to go back to micasa to complete some chores so I told them I’d take the bus to meet them.

Left micasa after 10 am on Saturday and headed for Pudu Sentral. It had been simply ages since my last visit there; I probably last visited it during my school days when I had to take a bus back from Seremban on one of those rare bus trips back. I didn’t feel Pudu Raya (as it was then known) was a safe place and a bit apprehensive about this visit too.

Well, I needn’t have worried too much. It wasn’t anywhere as impressive as the South Integrated Terminal but it’s an improvement. There were still touts there, approaching passengers and enquiring their destinations. I followed the directions for the ticket counter on the first floor and browsed the various counters before buying my ticket.

The bus was scheduled to depart at 1145 but we only pulled out at 1215. I don’t understand why it couldn’t leave on time like the buses heading south. The bus itself wasn’t too bad. We stopped at a small R&R for washroom break before resuming our journey. It was almost 4 pm before we exited the highway at Changkat Jering. I got down at Kamunting Raya bus station and waited for Akak to come fetch me. There were some detours and pitstops before we got to our hotel: to taste some durian and then get some capati/tosai for tea.

Our fourth floor adjoining rooms faced the pool and the setting afternoon sun so it was pretty noisy with the sound of those at the pool and warm from the sun. It was a bright, hot, sunny scorching day that I stayed in until 1845 before venturing out. I went for a walk to the nearby Taiping Golf Resort before returning back. Turned out my niece and nephew had followed me too so we walked back together.

We went out to the small town for dinner at Restoran Selera Malam Terminal (one of the three branches of Selera Malam restaurants and probably so named as it’s quite close to the bus station). Dinner was good and highly recommended.

After dinner, we decided to check out the night market. I hadn’t been to one in simply ages. It was getting late so some stalls were already packing up their goods. Food stuff is still cheap in this part of the country. We then returned to the hotel to retire for the day.

On Sunday, Abah, my niece, el niño and myself went for breakfast at the restaurant overlooking the golf course. Akak, my brother-in-law and la niña drove to get breakfast at a small restaurant.

El niño and niece wanted to swim in the pool before leaving so we had to wait until they had their fill in the pool. We left just before 12 noon and drove along the country road to Lenggong. Lunch was had at the only restaurant near la niña’s school. We left Lenggong at almost 4 pm and drove back, stopping en route to get more durians to bring back to KL. Indeed, there were many sellers along the road selling durian and we saw one durian tree, heavily laden with the king of fruits. Dozens of them hanging from its branches tempting us from afar...

We had an early dinner before heading to Akak’s. Abah and I left at 8.30 pm and reached home at 9.15 pm. It was a tiring but satisfying weekend.