Thursday, July 26, 2012

Arsenal Tour 2012: Kuala Lumpur

Arsenal were in town recently, arriving into the hot and humid city last Sunday. I wasn’t among those waiting for them either at KLIA or hotel, nor was I at the fans party or hanging out where they went (in other words, stalking) at the SMK Seksyen 11, Shah Alam, or Batu Caves.

I was, however, at the match on Tuesday evening. I arrived ten minutes to 9 pm and went to perform prayers first (Isya’ tarawikh and witir, the whole works). Then only did I make my way to the stadium.

The stadium was nowhere as full as it was last year, in fact most areas were glaringly devoid of spectators. On my way to the red gate, I came across a few touts selling tickets, or rather trying to sell tickets. (I found out the next day that a colleague’s son was offered two RM58 tickets by his primary school teacher. Say what??).

Unfortunately, the players’ boxes were in my line of sight so I did not have a very good view of the match. In fact, I had to rely on the large screen at times. I paid a fortune for the ticket and wasn’t happy with this obstruction but well, I can’t win every time eh. What struck me was there were a lot of kids there. Man, I had to close my eyes when I paid for my ticket. These kids must be seriously loaded. The girl next to me was paying more attention to her smartphone than to the match (I noticed she was checking out the club website for players’ profile/stats. Eh?)

I don’t want to comment on the match too much seeing it was just a pre-season friendly. I do have some observation/thoughts. The Malaysian goal was a beauty, so gorgeous we all stood up to applaud it. Arteta took a lot of corner kicks, sadly none were duly converted. Ryo worked hard, chasing after the ball. Yennaris, Eisfeld and Iggy are very promising. As usual Arsenal were trying hard to provide me prolonged anxiety and give me a heart attack.

I want to comment on the stadium security check though. They had people checking our bags to make sure we didn’t bring in any food or drinks but they allowed people to smoke in there?? What’s the catch? The fact was there were people inconsiderately puffing away in the stadium and the ones who were determined to make me a second-hand smoker were scantily-clad females. But what did I expect from these ignorant anyway. They didn’t even respect the sanctity of the month of Ramadan what more fellow human beings. If they couldn’t respect God, I guess it’s too much to expect them to respect others too.

Why can’t Malaysians have more respect and consideration to others? This behaviour won’t be tolerated elsewhere. Arsenal, for instance, have strict rules about what one can bring to the stadium. No smoking at the Emirates Stadium and only food and drink within reason is allowed. Aluminium cans and alcohol are a big no-no. Why can’t we enforce the same? Why should I be made to suffer just so that some idiot can puff on their cancer sticks? Why???

I was at the Singapore National Stadium when the Kops came to Asia and as far as I can recall, no one smoked. Why can’t we be like our neighbour in terms of enforcement? Is it so difficult for the stadium management or security to put their foot down and ensure everyone who attends a match adheres to set rules?

We can talk until the cows come home about being a developing nation but if we can’t even have basic courtesy, thought and consideration to our fellow citizens, then are we really developed? Can our country consider itself a developing country if its citizens can’t even be bothered about taking care of the country, about not littering, about disposing of their rubbish thoughtfully, about queuing up, just to name a few?

Oh and by the way, back to Arsenal. As much as I love Arsenal and was very happy when they came, I couldn’t help wondering why some players were even included, namely those players on the verge of leaving. The likes of Mannone, Chamakh, Fabianski... And then those new kids on the block are missing. Giroud, Poldi even Per are conspicuously absent. Oh well. Guess it’s the prerogative of the Boss.

By the way, I have a new love now. He’s Spanish too. Move over, Cesc! And no, it’s not Arteta. I do like Arteta but I love this other guy more. Add him to my other loves: Ramsey, Poldi, Giroud, Eisfeld... Spanish, Welsh, Polish German, French, German...what can I say, I have European taste, that’s all.



The Gunners arriving at the hotel
Him!!!
At the party