Monday, June 18, 2012

12 Hours In The Lion City

I had planned to check out the (not-so) Great Singapore Sale (or GSS) and as usual, checked the various airlines. I even contemplated flying to JB and then crossing over but discounted the idea after more research, figuring I might as well just ride the night train like I did before. So I bought the ticket upon my return from Europe (KTMB tickets can only be bought one month in advance anyway), having bought a flight ticket from the red airline for the return trip earlier.

So on Friday evening, I left micasa just after 9.30 pm and took the bus to KL Sentral. We boarded the train heading south at platform B (funny, as the ETS train to/from Ipoh also arrived/departed from this platform) at 10.50 pm and the train left the station at a quarter past 11 pm. I was very sleepy and fell asleep soon after ticket check but woke again after 2 am when the train vibrated as it rumbled on its journey. Indeed, the train shook so hard at times I had morbid thoughts about the train rolling off from the track. Sleep wouldn’t come no matter how hard I tried so I checked my Twitter timeline to update myself of the Euro scores.

We pulled into JB Sentral at 5.45 am. From my berth, the platform looked like the one at KL Sentral. This time, there was no boy boarding the train with his basket of nasi lemak or Malay kuih to sell to passengers. How I miss that. It’s a link to the old days and I wonder if the scene has vanished altogether in other stations as well.

The immigration officers came on the train to check our passports and we only pulled out of the station at a quarter to 7 and before long, we were on the Causeway and entering Singapore. The train now terminates here instead of Tanjong Pagar because of some stupid deal the Malaysian side had made. I was in no hurry so I decided to get to Woodlands MRT station on foot, not realising that Marsiling MRT could be nearer. Well, I had given my map of Singapore to Anita just a couple of days prior. I asked for directions and vague as they were, I managed to find the way by sticking to the bus route and checking the bus stands that I came across.

I took the train to Newton then walked down Scotts Road, dropping by Royal Plaza on Scotts to change clothes and freshen up. It had only gone past 9 in the morning and the shops were still closed. I emerged out again and crossed over to Far East Plaza. I took a rest, had some breakfast and read my novel.

I left Far East Plaza just after 10 am and went to H&M, stopping by Lucky Plaza en route. H&M would be opening soon in KL (at long last!) in September 2012 so I didn’t bother with the clothes. I only wanted to find brooches – I have fallen for brooches and want to add to my collection. After H&M, I checked out some stores in Paragon and Ngee Ann City. Lunch was had at Wisma Atria.

My headache which I had been nursing since early morning (due to lack of sleep) worsened but not enough to spoil my day. I continued to wander along Orchard Road aimlessly before going to Hyatt Hotel to rest. Then I did another visit to Far East Plaza before going back to Lucky Plaza. From Lucky Plaza, I made my way to Orchard MRT and took the train to the airport. I managed to catch a quick nap on the train, ten minutes or so. It was better than nothing.

We boarded the plane quite early and took off on time. I slept all the way until the plane started its descent. I took the 8.30 pm bus back to KL Sentral but as the Rapid KL service in my area is lousier than lousy, I ended up waiting 45 minutes for the unreliable bus.

Due to the increasingly horrible exchange rate, I doubt I’ll be making a return trip to SG anytime soon. But never say never especially as I’ve discovered some stores there selling vintage goods. I managed to get a good bargain last October and on this trip too. Alhamdulillah.