Wednesday, September 08, 2010

An 080910 Post

So, after a month of abstinence, control, restraint, patience, reflection, appreciation and performing ibadah, it’s time to celebrate Eid again. Here’s wishing everyone a blessed, peaceful, prosperous and happy Eid. I apologise for my wrongdoings in writing this blog. Thank you for the cards and I wish you a safe trip to/fro your destinations; do get enough rest to avoid sleeping behind the wheel.




Soon it will be time to bid farewell to blessed Ramadan ;’( but I won’t miss getting up early for my pre-dawn meal – yes, I do know that eating sahur is very encouraged.




Because we get up earlier than usual and we perform more ibadah (hopefully), we are sometimes exhausted during the day. Yes, sleeping also is a form of ibadah.




But some people have all the energy to do certain things like shopping for new clothes (or rather window shopping).




I do hope that after all that shopping effort, they won’t face the following problem (well, after all, most of us buy things off-the-rack, don’t we. Even baju kurung can have identical patterns/motifs even though it’s bought at different places!). But seriously, I’d consider it a nightmare if I turn up at some open house and see someone wearing the same thing!




Some channel their new-found energy in the kitchen and they try all sorts of new recipes... either for ‘break fast’ or for Eid cookies. Well, I try to cook my ‘break fast’ meal. But if you’re too busy, you can check out the (expensive) various break fast buffets all over the city. Strangely though, after fasting for a whole day, the thought of buffet is no longer that exciting somehow.




I’m no Jamie Oliver (nor do I aspire to be) and if I ever have to make cookies, I’d follow the recipe to a tee.


The instruction
The measurement
And more instruction


OK, I admit: I’ll definitely need help (or better still just help someone).





Of course, there’s the food to prepare on the morning of Eid. Even when we were studying abroad, it was still expected to have some food for guests, no matter how simple (ah, I miss those times!).





Don’t worry, you don’t have to feed people until they belch (and you shouldn’t eat until you belch out loud either!). A sufficient meal is enough because we have a lot of other houses to visit. And even if we don’t (because everyone else has gone back to their hometown), we can always have second and third servings ;)




Let’s not forget our table manners when we go visiting.





And definitely don’t complain if your host can’t serve you quick enough. It is Eid after all ;)




Eid Mubarak, everyone.




P.S. I hate the interlull, I really do. Here’s praying all the other Gunners will come home safe and sound, amen. Theo has joined RvP – he had an ankle injury ;’( And the world champions Spain lost in a friendly against Argentina (the very one who lost to Germany). The Germans ran riot with a 6-1 win over Azerbaijan.

P.P.S. Oh, and fie on you, Shrek. You roo-ined your country’s chances at the World Cup. OK, so you made up for it last night but hey, against Switzerland.