Monday, August 02, 2010

Jogja Weekend

I managed to get really cheap MAS tickets (RM295 return!) to Yogyakarta (or Jogja) back in December for my parents and myself. We were due to leave on Friday but unfortunately, Abah wasn’t feeling well on Thursday and decided not to go. This was not the first time it happened; many a time, either he or Mummy wasn’t feeling well (usually it was him) and the trip had to be re-scheduled, cancelled altogether or only Mummy and I would proceed.

We left very early on Friday morning and took the bus to KLIA. Our flight departed at 9.20 am (I even managed to buy a shirt at Mango prior to departure; quite a few stores having their sale) and we landed at Jogja Airport 2.5 hours later. It was a small airport with no walkway connecting to the terminal building so we got down and walked in the hot mid-morning sun to the terminal. There were probably three immigration counters opened but the building was too small to accommodate all of us. Fortunately we disembarked quite quickly and hence didn’t have to stand too long in the queue. The conveyor belt – if I may call it that – was a small belt ferrying our luggage and quite a few bags were already on the floor because the conveyor belt wasn’t long enough and you need to pull your bag off it.

I had made and paid for a booking at the Jayakarta Hotel during the March MATTA Fair and the driver was already waiting for us. The hotel was very near the airport – less than seven minutes away – but about seven km to downtown. The hotel provides a free shuttle to its guests however at scheduled times so one could avail of this service.

Our room didn’t overlook the pool (a good thing because there was a company annual dinner held at the poolside the following evening); it overlooked the road that led to the hotel parking area and there was a small mosque the other side of the high fence.

After freshening up and performing prayers, we took the hotel shuttle to Jalan Malioboro. I made a brief de-tour to Jl. Sosrowijayan to make some enquiries before joining Mummy again. We walked up and down the road and went in and out of shops and yet, and yet, I couldn’t find anything to buy. I often lamented that I wasn’t able to shop when I was there in January 2009 as I had to watch out for my niece and nephew but really, even on this second trip, I still couldn’t/wasn’t able to find anything to buy. We then crossed the street to the Malioboro Mall where we had lunch. I also bought some groceries at the supermarket but that was about it. We returned to the hotel at 5.30 pm.

It was only when we returned that I noticed there was a Carrefour right across our hotel. The driver informed there were some restaurants at Carrefour so after dark, I went out to investigate. There was a bakso restaurant and a Texas Chicken restaurant or something like that. Upon further investigation, I found that the bakso restaurant sold more food than just bakso so I had dinner there and brought a packed dinner back for Mummy.

We returned to Jalan Malioboro on Saturday morning and despite a slower trek along the road, still couldn’t find anything to buy. By then I had gotten sick of batik products. We went to the mall again but even that bored me almost to tears. Finally I decided to take the beca (trishaw) for a little spin around the area. The driver brought us to the cottage industry area (which strangely included t-shirt stores which we didn’t want to get down for), more batik stores (better as Mummy and I finally managed to buy something) and a store selling bakpia and other local delicacies suitable as souvenirs. Frankly, I think the trishaw ride provided more fun. Maybe because I’d walked up and down Jalan Malioboro a few times before and yet couldn’t find anything appealing.

We returned to the hotel and braved the heavy traffic and blinding sun to Carrefour. Lunch was had at the same bakso restaurant (the food was really tasty and more importantly, cooked there and then). In contrast, a Nasi Padang/Minang stall would normally sell luke-warm (or if you’re unlucky, stone-cold) dishes with hardly any vegetable dishes – and that is one reason why I don’t take to nasi padang.

After a brief rest, we went to the hotel spa for our hour-long reflexology massage. It was different from the reflexology massage we get here where you basically sit and have the masseuse massage the soles of your feet and a bit of your calves. The one we had involved us laying down and the masseuses massaging and kneading our soles and whole legs. It got painful at times – heck, even after the massage, some parts of my legs still hurt but it was good.

Dinner was had at the bakso restaurant, yes, again.

We left yesterday morning after breakfast and our 1140 flight only took off at 1200. We landed at KLIA at 1520 and because of the track works, the ERL transit and express services were still combined. That meant we only arrived at KL Sentral at close to 5 pm. I detoured to KLCC to check out the Isetan sale but wasn’t there long. I was already home by 8 pm.

~~~~~~~~

I slept late last night, or rather, this morning as I (wisely or unwisely) watched the Emirates Cup match between Arsenal and Celtic (I also watched the AC Milan and Lyon before that). I also managed to watch the Arsenal-Milan and Celtic-Lyon matches on Saturday night, much to my surprised delight (there was a channel that showed the matches, hurray. Don’t think I’d be as lucky had I gone to Thailand instead. Bendtner was there, Rambo was there too apparently – I didn’t notice him until I saw the pictures, and even Beckham was there with his boys). New boy Chamakh continued to impress with a goal – his first at the Emirates – but for all the attacking and possession, we didn’t manage to score more. (I really like Chamakh and Koscielny: both looked determined to play even if it was in a pre-season friendly. Hopefully Chamakh can get better haircut and hair advice in London too. I really don’t know what he calls his current hairstyle. And better not ask Sagna for advice.) It was a bit better last night but Celtic rallied to close the gap with two goals. Anyway, it was enough for the Gunners to lift the Emirates Cup again but only just.



Chamakh, please get a new haircut/hairstyle/hairdresser. Though of course you look much better than this poor kitty
Cesc has said that while he loves Barcelona, he’s a Gunner. Wenger said only Cesc can clear the air regarding the situation - and I wonder about this as well. Why didn’t he? Clearly he does NOT have Barcelona DNA because those with that blasted DNA sure can’t seem to stop talking about where Cesc should be.

Right, that’s it for now. Last night’s shenanigans have caught up with me so it’s time for a little siesta.