Friday, April 02, 2010

Hero



I’m going to continue today on Wednesday evening’s match against Barcelona – heck, even Andy Murray had something to say about it! After the match, a crutched Cesc said he didn’t yet know what he’d done to his leg but that he didn’t feel good. And 24 hours later, it was confirmed that he has indeed suffered a small crack in his right fibula against Barcelona and is ruled out for six weeks or effectively for the season but may have a shot at the World Cup. And to add insult to injury (or add injury to injury), we have an additional injury – to Shava, whose mother claimed wouldn’t be able to play until the end of the season either.

As Arseblog puts it, the other thing that defines Arsenal’s season is the mass injuries. It’s like we are a club of the walking injured or the land of the invalid. Or maybe there’s an evil kid with Arsenal voodoo dolls having a blast somewhere.

The Captain had this to say:

Great performance from us, but today I underperformed during the match, I missed many chances. I fear I won’t be able to play for the rest of the season, further X-Rays continue on my leg. I’m sure it might be a fracture. Our most important priority is to focus on the second leg and defend well, even if I’m there or not. Overall in the first half we defended and marked the players well, especially Messi. We created many opportunities. When Theo came on it was a massive boost to me and all the other players. He is incredibly talented and has plenty of stamina and fast pace. He progresses everyday even in training. In my opinion I think he’s the fastest footballer in European football, he’s at a good level for his age. He manages to out-skill everyone with his skills, running and strong shooting. Back on my injury, I made a promise to my family that everyday I’ll continue to improve and give everything towards my performances. Hopefully I will be fit soon. I’m truly sorry if I let my fans down.

Cesc Fàbregas Soler x






Have I ever mentioned how much I love, love, love this guy? He also hailed our fighting spirit and character. And check this out for the Spanish media reaction. They hailed Theo and our broken hero, Cesc - and he was a hero, playing shortly after being declared fit for the match and continuing even though he was in so much pain to ensure our numerical advantage and not let Barcelona get back in the game. He displayed such an awesome commitment to the cause, showed unquestionable loyalty and devotion to the club, and demonstrated amazing willingness to play through pain to help Arsenal come close to winning something this season. If anyone still question his commitment and his future at Arsenal, let me know so I can shoot him. Former skipper Titi, meanwhile, mentioned here and here why the home fans are special to him.

We can still dream of beating Barcelona (hey, it’s OK to dream and hope). And our captain may be back for the final in Madrid (hey, while we’re still dreaming, why not?). But in the interim, we face Wolves tomorrow and let’s hope we score early. Expect to see a very changed squad tomorrow.

Right, have a good weekend peeps and do spare a prayer or two for all those injured out there including those battling diseases. Come on Arsenal.