Monday, January 25, 2010

New Castle

I’m just back from a short weekend trip to KB. We stayed at Renaissance Hotel (apparently the city’s only five-star hotel, hence it’s quite posh) – well mainly because I was with my parents. We arrived early Saturday morning (which of course necessitated a very early morning start) and thankfully we were given an early check-in. We then tried to find breakfast within the vicinity but it was past the time for nasi dagang and the like. Now the hotel is about two km from the city centre (read: Siti Khadijah Central Market) but the hotel provides scheduled shuttle services (good thing I asked!) so we availed of it and took the 1030 service to the market. After our mid-morning meal, my parents went to explore the market while I visited the nearby goldsmiths to repair various bits of my jewellery (the ones I still have) and to custom make a ring (with the stone I bought in Colombo).

I had to call the hotel concierge to arrange for a 2.30 pm pick-up instead of 6 pm as agreed earlier as my parents were beginning to tire. Good thing the hotel concierge was accommodating. After resting and a light lunch, I went to the shopping complex next door (connected to the hotel). It wasn’t that great but I surprised myself with some purchases nevertheless.

We ventured out earlier for breakfast on Sunday and I packed some laksam. My parents had their meal at a coffee shop. The Kelantanese sure love to eat rice for breakfast – it’s either ‘fish rice’, nasi dagang, coconut milk rice or something else.

We repeated the process on Saturday – taking the 10.30 am hotel shuttle to the market and back by the 2.30 pm service. It was a hot afternoon and I felt drowsy so it was a lazy afternoon indeed.

Alas, Arsenal didn’t manage to proceed to the next round of the FA Cup...

Left the hotel at 7.45 am this morning for our flight back home and I was in the office at quarter to 1.

~~~~~~~~

The nation bade farewell to the late Sultan of Johore on Saturday after the Sultan passed away the evening before. My parents followed the funeral with interest. Except for Akak, myself and two younger boy cousins (they are the youngest grandsons of my maternal grandparents while Akak and I were the youngest granddaughters), everyone else was born in Johore. Everyone else is a Johorean (I don’t consider myself a Johorean of course as I was born here) and I suppose they did feel moved.

Long live the new Sultan.