Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Babes In The Cities

28 – 31 August 2009

Rem has always been telling me that she’d want to come along on any of my trips so when I told her of the MAS offer in early June, she immediately agreed to come along. So last Friday, we met up at KL Sentral during lunch and from there we took the coach to KLIA.

Our flight took off at 1630 – it was pretty empty and after the door was closed, I moved to the middle row seats and monopolised all four seats by stretching out after the seat-belt sign was turned off. We landed at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport at 1730 (that part of Indonesia is an hour behind). We were swiftly reunited with our bags and bought voucher for a taxi for Rp200,000 to our hotel. We broke fast in the car shortly after leaving the airport, thanks to the packed meal from MAS. We were lucky that the traffic was smooth and where it took me 90 minutes to get to our Jakarta hotel previously, it only took us 40 minutes this time around. I was happy to note the prayer mat, the Quran and prayer book thoughtfully placed in our room. We initially wanted to take a bajaj to the Gambir train station but after chatting with the porter, we decided instead to ask him instead to buy the train tickets to Bandung for us. He managed to do so before the station closed for the day.

Later that evening, we ventured out to a nearby shopping complex to have a light meal.

Please Do Stop The Music

We left the hotel early on Saturday morning (almost immediately after prayers) for our train was due to depart at 0610. The Argogede train ticket cost us only Rp55,000 each (excluding tips to the porter for purchasing them for us) for executive seats (business seats cost less surprisingly). It was a good thing we asked the hotel porter to help buy the tickets for us as the ticket office at the station was still closed when we arrived there at 0545 and there were quite a number of people already queuing. We travelled through the massive sprawling metropolitan before finally leaving the city and entering the suburbs. After some time, we passed plantations and paddy fields and other smaller towns. The seats were comfortable, the leg space generous and the ride would have been very pleasant indeed had it not been for the annoying TV screens that blared out irritating pop Indonesian songs. It was so bad that at one point I told Rem, ‘You know the Rihanna song ‘Please Don’t Stop The Music?’ Well, I want to sing ‘Please Do Stop The Music!’. It was enough to cause the sleep-deprived me a headache.

We reached Bandung slightly later than scheduled and took an angkot to Pasar Baru Trade Centre where we spent the next three hours there browsing, bargaining and purchasing baju kurung and kebaya materials and prayer attires. We also performed prayers at the mosque situated on the rooftop. Yes, it is all very convenient for shoppers.

Next, we took a rickshaw - yes, the two of us fit in uncomfortably in it and the poor chap had to carry the burden of our combined weight (!) – to Jalan Aceh where the factory outlets are. Despite having visited Bandung twice previously, this was the first time I was in that area. Thankfully Rem managed to find what she was looking for and was happy with her purchases (I wasn’t looking for anything at all). We then took a cab to a Kartika Sari cake store to purchase some cakes/brownies and local specialties.

We decided that was enough for the day (our shoulders and hands were already aching under the burden of the weight of our purchases) and returned back to the train station. I tried to doze off but was not too successful (I slept very poorly the night before, well all the nights there actually due to the Nasal Symphony from the bed beside me. Sorry honey, I still love you but it’s just that I am sensitive to noises and lights when sleeping). When I returned from a mini-market, I was not happy to see one of the train porters carrying our bags without being told to. Now, the Indonesians are notorious for this. They will squeeze money out of you from every possible opportunity – carrying your bags to the cab, carrying your bags onto a train, making way for your vehicle to park... it all comes at a cost. Small as the cost may be, I hate it when people decide to be presumptuous with me that way.

Our train left slightly after 1705. We didn’t manage to buy seats on an Argogede train (the next Argogede train would leave much later and we weren’t keen to arrive in Jakarta too late) so we bought seats on Parahyangan train instead. The executive seats cost less at Rp40,000 but the seats looked old, worn out and stained in places. Nevertheless, we were spared the annoying train soundtrack and had a relatively quiet three-hour journey back to Jakarta. The train also offered some fried rice for break fast (delivered to your seat, no less) for Rp15,000, which we thought was a fair price. We reached Gambir station at about 2020 and searched for a bajaj back to the hotel. A tip here: do agree (and bargain) on the fare for your destination beforehand.

We were too tired to venture out again that night and instead just stayed in. Unfortunately, a group of new guests just checked-in (after 11 pm) and they turned out to be noisy, inconsiderate oafs who didn’t think twice of speaking in loud voices in the corridor and yelling out each other’s names. I also managed to watch the ManUre-Arsenal match and I must say the referee was biased. I was not happy that ManUre got a penalty when we didn’t and Diaby was just diabolical. Oh and my sweetheart didn’t play either ;’(

Easy Like Sunday Morning
We slept in today and left after prayers to Tanah Abang. Another shopping spree was had (I didn’t expect to spend there but hey, what did I know of the shopping delights there? The last visit I had with my parents was a brief one and only to the level that sold footwear, where I didn’t purchase a single pair, surprise, surprise). We even met a former lady minister (and former Wanita UMNO head/chief (?)) and her hubby and relatives (?) at one stall. To be honest, we only realised her presence after some time but after having realised it was indeed her, decided to take some pictures of her and tried to be discreet about it. Ha! A former Cabinet Minister also shopped at Tanah Abang! Fancy that!

We left her and went to the fifth floor where we spent considerable time again browsing, bargaining and purchasing, this time it was kebaya and modern kurung tops and some ‘slip-on’ headscarves.

After all that was done, we took a bajaj to Plaza Indonesia. I love this place and the adjacent Grand Indonesia! Everything was modern and sleek and shiny and in place. If you want to see beautiful (and rich) Indonesians and expatriates, come here. At the very least, you get to use the clean bathroom. I bought a Cathay shoulder satchel at the LeSportsac store (there was an additional discount for credit cardholders of a particular bank of which I am one, plus such model is not available in KL). We then went in search for the Hard Rock Café but left empty-handed.

We then made our way to Grand Indonesia and broke fast at its lovely, modern food-court at the third floor. To me, Indonesia is a bit like India in that you have to be very careful of where you purchase your meals and drinks from and it is important that you eat at clean hygienic establishment unless you want to risk a stomach upset. I have a sensitive tummy so I don’t dare eat at roadside stalls where the hygiene is questionable.

We returned back to the hotel after 8 pm.

Not A Manic Monday

We checked out of the hotel at 0745 and the cab was already waiting for us (we had pre-arranged with the cabbie who brought us to the hotel on Friday that he’d pick us up today). We were again lucky that the road to the airport was clear despite it being a Monday morning. We reached the airport before 0830 but could only check-in just before 0900. After checking-in and paying the airport tax of Rp150,000, we went in to the duty-free area. The duty-free area was designed such that we had to pass almost all shops there are before we reached our gate (maybe they know Malaysians can really spend) and stop at almost every shop we did. Another damage was inflicted on my credit card – this time it was a Teddy Bear Anne bag (such print is not available in KL and I know that because I go to the LeSportsac corner every single time I’m at Isetan).

The flight this time had more passengers (maybe because it was co-shared with Garuda Indonesia) but I still managed to move seats and monopolised the middle four seats by sprawling across them.

We landed about eight minutes late than scheduled at an overcast KLIA. My bags were late in coming out onto the carousel; in fact one of them did a disappearing act and I was even advised by two ground staff to lodge a missing luggage report. I was a bit upset at this, especially when I thought of the banana pastries I bought in Bandung that were in that bag. I was waiting for the chap behind the desk to key in my details when another bloke came in wheeling a trolley and announced they found a bag from flight MH710 and it turned out to be my bag! Syukur.

Ran all the way to the KLIA Express platform where Rem was already waiting and we took the 1520 train (had my bag not gone ‘missing’, we would have been able to catch the 1500 train). Rem’s husband came to fetch us and dropped us at Rem’s office where she left her car. She then dropped me home.

And that was my Merdeka weekend. How was yours?