Monday, March 16, 2009

Fantastic Four

What a Fantastic Four weekend it was for me! Allow me to share it with you.

#1: I went to check out the Crocs sale at MVMM Friday lunchtime (found out about the sale the Friday before en route to Bangkok). Not surprisingly, only a few of the sale items were left and only in limited sizes and colours. Found a pair that I liked (in Ruby/Cotton Candy colour) but not in my size. The shop assistant was helpful enough to help check for me and apparently the Ikano store still had it and if I went there on the day itself, I might be able to get it. Now, I hardly ever go to Ikano and wasn’t keen to make the trip.

Later that evening, it occurred to me to check with the 1 Utama store if it still had the pair I liked in my size. Searched for the receipt of my last purchase (it pays being a hoarder at times!) and discovered that yes, the store still had it.

10 am sharp on Saturday morning saw me arriving at 1 Utama. I managed to grab the last pair in the colour I like and in my size too. At first the shop assistants wanted me to pay cash and after arguing with them (‘Why can’t I pay by card? It’s not part of the terms of sale,’ I pointed out) and the cashier calling up someone, they finally agreed to let me use my card. Made the cross-city trek to PWTC for the MATTA fair shortly after the purchase.

#2: Liverpool paid ManUre a visit. Cristina converted a penalty to put the home side ahead and apparently, every time he scored at Old Trafford, ManUre never lost. Well, I thought, there’s always a first time for everything. And what do you know, ManUre are stoppable after all and Liverpool put four goals behind van der Sar. I was watching the match and laughing out loud every time the Reds scored. Good job, Poo!

#3: Earlier in the week, Arsenal hosted Burnley and at the end of the week, they hosted Blackburn. Wenger made four changes to the Roman conquerors. The Gunners were helped by an early goal – so fast it was difficult to determine who actually scored but it finally emerged that the wrong André (Ooijer) scored an own goal although our own Andrey was also involved. The lads played much better in the second half. Bendtner was frustratingly profligate (I was slapping my thighs hard every time he missed and only realised it when my thighs hurt and smarted. Dang you Bendtner, we could have had a cricket or at least a tennis score - and that would help with our goal difference tally - and my thighs hurt!) and Walcott had his acrobatic shot saved before finally Shava decided to take matters into his hand by scoring from an impossibly tight angle. His first goal at Arsenal, and with his stitched up right foot too! I was shouting so loud – never mind it was after midnight. He also helped with the third goal - his deflected shot was kicked in by Eboue and Eboue even converted a penalty to make it four for Arsenal (and became a woo-hoo boy after being a boo-hoo). And we are back at fourth; I was earlier praying that Arsenal would emulate Liverpool with four goals and my prayers were answered. Thank you, God.

Perhaps Bendtner could be inspired by new boy Shava or pick up a point or two from Eboue (wonder where Bendtner attended finishing school?). C’mon, even Eboue is starting to redeem himself.

Blackburn were reckless and physical as usual (their players earned four yellow cards) and Shava had to have stitches on his right foot during the break, no thanks to Ooijer who ripped Shava’s boot and the skin underneath in the 10th minute. He came back on donning a pair of bigger boots in place of his earlier pink ones and ditched his gloves too (the sight of him wearing gloves in mid-March was a tad perplexing).

So confidence is back at Arsenal.

Kudos to Shava who admitted struggling to adapt but is determined to repay Arsenal: ‘But Arsenal have done more for me than I have done for them. I will try to pay them back as quickly as possible.’

BBC Sport Player Rater man of the match: Arsenal's Andrey Arshavin 9.31 (on 90 minutes).











#4: : I felt good on Sunday and thought the Spuds could beat the Villains. And that was what the blue half or London, i.e. the scum Spuds did - helped Arsenal and beat the Villains at Villa Park. So Arsenal are definitely back at fourth (and in the top four for the first time in 2009)!

Life is good. Bring it on. And Captain Fantastic (jersey #4) should be back soon too.