Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Connection

This was my FB status early yesterday morning: Adek is happy and pleased with the Arsenal kids for wriggling three past Wigan to book a place in the Carling Cup quarter-finals!

And to my surprise, these are the responses received:

MJ: Me 2!! Dulu I was all 4 MU...but they’re an overrated lot!
Enjoyed d movie Mamma Mia last nite, simply brill! Ramai jugak yg tak watch lagi. Husni gave me a sweet treat at Sweetchat while waiting, heavenly durian pancake!! Rasa not so bad now about not getting a ticket 2 watch d musical next month...Even my filthy rich old convent chin. classmate couldn't get hold of d tickets & refused 2 pay 4 d 1s still available at d time!
(This is one kind of writing I have a headache reading. Sorry MJ)

Adek: What?! An ex-MU has finally seen the error of her ways hehe. Three nil to the Arsenal!
Seriously I couldn’t see Mamma Mia on the GSC website. I enjoyed it too. What time did you get back? Too late for me, I’m sure. Oohh, I’m into durian too!

YA: Me too - durian that is :-)

FH: Kuching has lots of durians sekarang. Yg sedap makan terus, yang kurang sedap masuk freezer, it would taste like ice-cream/ sherbet. Yang lagi tak sedap, buat bubur or tempoyak. Kesian YA jauh... (Kuching has lots of durian now. The lovely one can be eaten immediately, anything that doesn’t taste as nice, store them in the fridge, it would taste like ice-cream/ sherbet. Anything that doesn’t taste good at all, turn it into porridge or tempoyak. Poor YA being so far away)

YA: nanti I nak pulun habis2 & also bring back lempok, inshaAllah :-) kat Kuching D24 ke FH? (I will eat to my heart’s content later habis2 & also bring back lempok, inshaAllah :-) Is it D24 in Kuching, FH?)

Adek: Hmmm... how did a status update of Arsenal’s win turn to durian eh? ;) Ohh FH, rub it in, will ya. KL is nearer to Kuching than Makkah but still, it’s not as if we can hop on the plane now, can we? No sign of durian in KL supermarkets sob sob.

Adek: Btw during Ramadan, when everyone was busy buying kuih for iftar, I was busy buying durian mooncake! I still have two in the fridge and some lempok too. Sayang nak makan... (too precious to eat)

YA: Adek, u beli lempok kat mana? Yg best punya? (Adek, where did you buy lempok? The best?)

Adek: I bought it at Pasar Tani near my office but that was during the durian season (they even brought fresh durians but if I bought that, I’d be banned from the office!). I also bought some for the office at Pasar Siti Khadijah in KB when I went there in August. I’m not choosy about durian, D24 or whatever. You want lempok? When are you coming back?

YA: IF u find any good ones yg org Islam buat I nak pesan pls. Adek. Budget up to RM25 but if really excellent then up to RM50. InshaAllah in Msia dec28-jan26 (IF you find any good one made by Muslims, I want to place an order please. Adek. ...)

Adek: I can ask my friend to buy lempok for you (sheI’s a Kelantanese). But she said RM25 is quite a high budget (I can’t remember how much it costs/kg).

YA: Takpe la cos my sons pun studying overseas so they can have some too while in Msia -- only if not too much trouble for u both la (It’s OK because my sons studying overseas ...)

FH: Kuching tak main lah D24. Ours is all durian kampung, hence if you get yang sedap, it’s reallllly sedap. Esp now it’s from Kmpg Pasir Pandak, well known for its taste. We can also get different versions from Serian and other parts of Sarawak, and also from Kalimantan. Tapi time tak ada durian, memang kering kontang tengok je lah org semenanjung berjamu durian dalam newspaper. But this year memang jadik giler, that you have to be careful when you walk at pasar cos takut terjatuh atas durian. (Kuching folks are not into D24. Ours is all durian kampung, hence if you get the delicious ones, it’s reallllly sedap. Esp now it’s from Kmpg Pasir Pandak, well known for its taste. We can also get different versions from Serian and other parts of Sarawak, and also from Kalimantan. But it’s not the durian season, it’s really a durian drought and we just read about people in the Peninsular feasting on durian in the newspapers. But this year it’s been really fruitful, that you have to be careful when you walk at the market for fear of falling on durian.)

Adek: YA, I’ve told my friend. No worries. Was worried you want to bring it all back to Saudi; don’t think it’ll be good to eat heaty stuff there!
FH, Ohhh I’m salivating and drooling already! I think I’m going to have durian hallucination for the next few days now... ;p

FH: AirAsia dah abolish fuel fees mah. Fly over lah. (AirAsia has abolished fuel fees. Just fly over.)

YA: Alhamdulillah. thx Adek. inshaAllah will call u after I land in Msia late dec. please message yr mobile # ya. or u can text me - my number in my profile.
FH, kalu ada rezqi I nk le p S'wak - later2 laa when next durian season ke :-) (FH, if I have rezeki, I want to go to Sarawak – a bit later, maybe in the next durian season :-) )


Adek: YA, no problem. So you want RM25 or RM50 worth of lempok? Berat tu. (That’s heavy) AirAsia is having free seats promo but must bear ultra patient with the website. I still prefer flying MAS.
FH, ye la they have abolished fuel surcharge but there are other factors (leave, lodging) plus I must eat the durian there as I cannot bring it back with on the plane.

FH: Alah....I bawak you beli durian, then makan kat my house. (I bring you to buy durian then we eat at my house. ...) So lodging is covered. You only need to settle the leave.
Durian on the plane? My mom did it, I don’t know how. Maybe because she’s on a wheelchair, they all tak sampai hati nak rampas. But it was frozen, and berbalut suratkhabar tebal to absorb the smell. (Durian on the plane? My mom did it, I don’t know how. Maybe because she’s on a wheelchair, they didn’t have the heart to confiscate. But it was frozen, and wrapped in thick newspapers to absorb the smell.)
My sister pulak was accused of bringing durians padahal her bag absorbed the durian smell from carboot. Berapa kali check in guys tanya dia, ada durian ke? Kalau ada durian, kena keluarkan. (My sister was accused of bringing durians whereas it was her bag which absorbed the durian smell from car-boot. The check in guys asked her numerous times if she had any durian. If there was any durian, she must take it out.)


Adek: Waa... that's generous of you FH! My mum told me the aroma of durian flesh is not as strong as the aroma of the fruit (I haven’t yet tested this on the plane). That reminds me of a friend who brought back tiger prawns fr KK to KL: he survived the flight but because the komuter train back to his place was delayed, the prawns started giving out smell and other commuters were all staring at him... until he got down because he was starting to feel embarassed and he hadn't yet reached his station! Kelakar pulak. (That’s funny somehow).

YA: Adek, whatever amount yg tak menyusahkan pls -- tak nak la sampai patah blakang plak! If nak bring on air asia then pls include the baggage fee for the lempuk in the budget - all in less than or up to RM50. Thx so much! (Adek, whatever amount that’s not troubling please – don’t want anyone to suffer a backpain! If transporting it by AirAsia then please include the baggage fee for the lempok in the budget - all in less than or up to RM50. Thx so much!)

Adek: I mean, heavy for you la. I’m sure you want to borong (buy) lots of stuff to bring back there too, right. I'll ask how much RM25 and RM50 can get you respectively. She won’t charge for transportation, don’t worry!

YA: OK, thx Adek. Don’t worry abt me. Need yr mobile # nanti (later) ya

MA: Wah! Camni boleh buat business ni!!I penah buat lempuk masa kerja kat Jelebu dulu! Kesian org jauh 2 tak dapt makan durian...Cina kat tepi jalan kat sini hari2 tempting us 2 buy durian, but trying hard 2 resist...Only on special occasions je, so we can truly appreciate it!
(Wah! This is worthy of a business venture! I once did lempok while working in Jelebu then! Poor those living far away cannot eat durian… the Chinese sellers by the road here tempt us everyday to buy durian but trying hard to resist...)
I also brought back some lempok fr KB last Aug. But my hosts didn’t buy any durian! Ada 1 type of mango 2 ‘black gold’ or s’thing, yg kulit dia green but d was so fleshy & sweet! It’s 2 die 4... They should have a market like that S.Khadijah 2 kat sini kan? My clinic staff baru masuk & tengah potong buah quinine... Hmmm... Malam ni tkg my sis& her husb.2 that Iranian rest in Ampg Pt.Hmmm...Husni baru dapat bonus.
Kenalah belanja!
(I also brought back some lempok fr KB last Aug. But my hosts didn’t buy any durian! There is one type of mango too ‘black gold’ or s’thing, with green skin but the flesh was so fleshy & sweet! It’s to die for... They should have a market like that S.Khadijah over here eh? My clinic staff just came in and is peeling a quinine... Hmmm... Taking my sis& her husband to that Iranian resto in Ampang Point tonight. Hmmm... Husni just got a bonus so must treat!)
Oh, congrats again 2 d gunners!
(I had another headache trying to read this)

YA: haa MA, buat la lempok, i buy fr u, inshaAllah :-) (haa MA, do some lempok and I’ll buy from you, insyaAllah :-) )

Adek: Wow, if there ever is a need for an empirical evidence for the connection between an Arsenal win and durian, this is definitely it! Me thinks it’s about time to update the status. Let’s see if the new one garners as much response ;)

YA: LOL LOL LOL!!!!

~~~~~~~~

Current FB status: Adek can’t wait for tonight’s episode of The Amazing Race Asia. Wonder who will be eliminated next. (Tish & Geoff I hope).

Let’s see how many responses this one will get.