Friday, October 12, 2007

Eid ul-Fitr

After a month of abstinence, control, exercising patience and performing ibadah, it’s time again to celebrate and rejoice in the glory and graces of Allah. I am appalled, however, to find that some TV stations will celebrate the end of Ramadan with entertainment – concerts and what have yous. I just don’t think that’s how Eid should be celebrated.

And I don’t understand the mentality of some people (mainly the fairer sex) who think that they need/must change the curtains, carpeting, wallpaper etc, etc every year. C’mon, we can still celebrate Eid with old furniture and fittings surely. And Eid outfit too. Just the other morning, I happened to tune into a radio station and the caller sounded like her Eid was already spoilt because her Eid outfit was still unfinished [and the tailor had happily left KL].

To me, Eid is more than just new Eid outfit, furniture, fittings and money. While I am happy that Eid is here, I’m also sad that Ramadan will be over. Will I live to see the next Ramadan? (Yes, I have these deep, serious thoughts at times. But you know what, I know quite a few young people who are either dying now or died at a young age).

A few mornings ago, as I was having my pre-dawn meal, the radio station I was listening to had a discussion with a guest professor on Eid money. How most kids these days can be so choosy as to the houses they visit because some hosts give a little more than the others. How some even ‘cheat’ especially at open houses, by queuing up more than once so that they can get more than one Eid money packets. And how some waste their Eid money by spending it on useless things; granted it’s their Eid money but surely thou shalt not waste (when I was still a recipient of Eid money, I saved them all for the future, y’know for emergency and all. Mind you, back then, getting RM5 from anyone besides my parents was already good enough. And I never got any from my elder stingy scrooges of siblings!). And how some parents actually use their children’s Eid money to pay toll!

The professor opined that all these were inappropriate. She also went on to say that there are parents with many children who actually feel they should not go visiting because they don’t want the hosts to feel like they have to give out so much Eid money. She pointed out that the parents shouldn’t feel this way because the spirit of celebrating Eid is to visit one another and seek forgiveness; similarly and the hosts should also not feel obligated to give out Eid money if they can’t afford to - after all, Eid money is not even compulsory. [In fact, I think this ritual of giving Eid money is only practised here and not in other Muslim countries]. I think these are all valid points. Sadly, I think most kids these days, yes my nieces and nephews included, think that Eid is an easy ca$h-making-scheme celebration.

The professor also likened spending money on firecrackers to burning money and I couldn’t agree more. The firecrackers are sometimes so loud and sudden, I’m surprised I haven’t heard of any elderly folks suffering sudden heart attacks yet (not that I wish for it but the sudden loud noises startle even me at times).

Anyway, here’s wishing everyone all the blessings of happiness, peace and prosperity. I seek forgiveness for my wrongdoings, in my posts or comments, my speech and behaviour. May our ibadah continue to be of barakah, insyaAllah. Go easy on the rendang, ketupat and lemang and have a safe trip to/fro your destinations. Oh, and thank you all for all the Eid cards I receive every year. Glad to know that people still send and value receiving physical greeting cards like I do.

Eid Mubarak!