Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Karma?

I’ve only just started watching Grey’s Anatomy and still getting myself acquainted with the various roles. Anyway, last night’s episode What Have I Done To Deserve This started with a voice-over by George as follows:

Okay, so, sometimes even the best of us make rash decisions. Bad decisions. Decisions we pretty much know we're going to regret the moment, the minute, especially the morning after. I mean, maybe not regret, regret because at least, you know, we put ourselves out there. But...still. Something inside us decides to do a crazy thing. A thing we know will probably turn around and bite us in the ass. Yet, we do it anyway. What I'm saying is...we reap what we sow. what comes around goes around. It's karma and, any way you slice it...karma sucks.

... and ended with the following voice-over, also by George:

One way or another our karma will leave us to face ourselves. We can look our karma in the eye or we can wait for it to sneak up on us from behind. One way or another, our karma will always find us. And the truth is, as surgeons, we have more chances than most to set the balance in our favor. No matter how hard we try we can't escape our karma. It follows us home. I guess we can't really complain about our karma. It's not unfair. It's not unexpected. It just...evens the score. And even when we're about to do something we know will tempt karma to bite us in the ass...well, it goes without saying. We do it anyway.

Hmmm... maybe what I’m experiencing or suffering now is karma. I don’t think I’m loud; my parents will tell you that I’m quiet, keep to myself and much prefer to bury my head in books or go Shopping. However, I can get very excited especially in the company of close friends and whenever this happens, my voice gets all high and [I suppose] squeaky (blame it on my boarding school past, if you must!) and sometimes I can really laugh very loudly and very unladylike-ly.

And so that probably explains why I am now suffering in silence, sitting next to this person who talks loudly [as a colleague pointed out, ‘I thought you are loud, but there’s someone who’s louder!’ and I just stared back at her in disbelief, ‘cause I don’t consider myself loud of course] and giggles and laughs [which sound very insincere and forced and fake] equally loudly and almost always finishes her sentences with that increasingly annoying cackle.

Oh seriously. There she goes blaring again, interrupting what ever brief period of precious silence which has become quite rare.

Heck, in comparison to my next-cubicle neighbour, I am definitely very mild.

I am still trying to learn tuning out noises from next cubicles [aye, I’m sandwiched in between these work prisons; thankfully the other neighbour is not as loud]. It gets so Bad at times, especially when I’m trying to read some work-related literature and believe me, there are a lot of those mind-numbing stuff to read.

I really should remember to get some ear-plugs on my next Shopping trip [I suppose I can get them at pharmacies?]. Maybe I’ll dig my toiletry bags complimentary of various airlines and see if I can make do with a pair until I get a proper pair.

And until she can move to her own new room and leave us in peace, just like that Grey’s Anatomy episode title, I find myself asking God, ‘What Have I Done To Deserve This?


I'm not sure if I believe in karma. I do know that I believe in God and in miracles. Because God moves in Mysterious Ways.