Monday, October 02, 2006

Rarus Avis Robin!

This is going to be another quickie ‘cause I’m busy! Anyway, I had quite a good weekend. Managed to get some much-needed rest [but my stubborn cough still lingers. Oh well… not long now before I’m fine, insyaAllah]. Of course some retail therapy helped too [although my wallet may beg to differ]. I must hide my credit card from myself after this.

To my delight, I discovered there was this mini Ramadhan Bazaar at BB where rows and rows of stall were set up selling all kinds of food glorious food. I walked happily among the crowd, blending in with everyone - and by that, I mean everyone: Muslims and non-Muslims, locals and foreigners. And I was sorely tempted to join in and buy some food too but not after I sighted the cooking oil which they used, which was no longer yellow but black and obviously had been recycled too many times. No way was I going to buy carcinogenic-coated food; in fact I lost my appetite there and then.

~~~~~~~~

Watched some footie after tarawikh prayers over the weekend and man, van Persie sure ensured a happy 10th anniversary for Wenger. He made some stupid attack earlier on Hasselbaink and was Lucky to be yellow-carded only and not be sent off. But he redeemed himself because before the half was out, van Persie levelled after intricate footwork from Alexander Hleb. Receiving Henry's low corner at the near post, Hleb twisted and turned his way out of trouble before lifting the ball across to van Persie, who thumped a shot past Scott Carson.


*Photos courtesy of Google links.

The Dutch striker did it again four minutes into the second half, but much more spectacularly. Running to meet Emmanuel Eboue's deep cross from the right, van Persie leapt into the air to meet the ball on the edge of the penalty area and with a breathtaking move, karate-kicked [or maybe kung-fu left-foot volleyed - I don't know why but when I saw it, I heard this echoing in my head over and over again: 'Hiaahhh! Karrrcheeennggg!'] the ball into the far top corner. I can’t quite get enough of that fine shot. ‘Cause ladies and gentlemen, that second goal is definitely a contender for goal of the season. Excellent. Stupendous. Brilliant.

So it was Robin van Persie who capped an excellent performance as Arsenal came from behind to beat Charlton 2-1 at The Valley as Arsene Wenger celebrated 10 years at the club.

On another note, Thank You Villa for drawing with Chelsea. West Ham was hammered by Reading as early as in the 2nd minute of their match and never did recover. I actually watched AC Milan played Siena last night but Milan was unlucky; they had so much possession of the ball and so much action in the box but not quite able to convert those opportunities into goals and when Kaka Finally scored, his goal was cancelled. In fact, it was quite an exhausting match to watch.


~~~~~~~~

I feel like a small kid embarking on her first fasting attempt, feeling weak and exhausted at times – and especially when I’m indoors too. Sheesh.

OK, gotta go back to work 'cause this chic chick is a busy bee!