Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My SUBARU List

I am a scatterbrain. An absent-minded, ditsy girl. Forgetful at times. So much so that I've been known to have conducted my own audit trails, i.e. retrace my steps just to locate the document I've somehow managed to lose between point A and point B - 'cause Sometimes I make pitstops at colleagues' workstations... [that probably explains why I can never be an auditor, 'cause being in charge of clients' audit trails on top of my own will just about kill me]. And because I like to be organised - and I have to be, otherwise I'll end up losing and misplacing more things - I have to rely on lists.

Now, since I have been relying on lists, I am quite a pro when it comes to making them. Lists of groceries to buy. List of things to buy and prepare for my Haj trip. Lists of things to pack for my Holiday trips [so much so I don't need any list when going on any trip anymore!]. Lists of birthday and greeting cards to send. Lists of the thankfully once-a-year Eid money to distribute. [Lists of idiots in my life.] Shopping lists from people when I go for trips, my own lists of souvenirs to buy and lists of souvenir recipients. The lists are either scribbled in my diary, in my notebook, on recycled pieces of paper, noted mentally in my head or typed nicely in my Lotus Notes To-Do. Even when it comes to work, lists are useful - I am currently heavily involved with organising an event and we have drawn up checklists which allow us to keep track of tasks, sub-tasks, resources required, deadlines, next steps etc.

So, being bored and up to her neck with work in the past few days, Adek has sought escapism in drawing up a list [because I find relief in expressing myself]. But this is not an ordinary Shopping list. This is my SUBARU (short for Stressed Up Beyond All Recognition Ululation) list - of the pros of living on your own. And apparently there are quite a few reasons for staying status quo. Because...

You get to be messy, if you want to. Though I'm a hygiene freak and I'm not about to start living in filth.

You get to gorge on the chocolates all by yourself. No need to squabble on who gets the last piece and no need to share that bar!

You can growl, howl, yowl, cry foul etc for no reason without alarming anyone. And you can sing at the top of your voice without caring if you're bursting anyone's eardrum in the process.

You don't have to worry about cooking meals for two. Or three. Or more. Whatever. And you don't have to worry if whatever you're trying to cook doesn't come out perfect 'cause you're going to eat it anyway. And of course, you won't complain about your own Bad cooking.

You don't have to worry about upsetting anyone if you're in a cranky, moody mood.

You can dance and prance without caring - even when you're only attempting to with two left feet.

You get to sleep in your king-size bed Alone without sharing it. [I'm considerate enough to share my bed with my Teddy and Garfield though]. You don't have to worry about any snoring bed partner or being kicked out of bed by your partner.

You can talk to yourself and God without caring if people think you're Crazy or not. You get to deal with yourself more and learn more of yourself. And how you can improve yourself.

You don't have to share your (increasingly limited) wardrobe space and store room space with another.

You get to do things you want, the way you want, at the pace you want and when you want to without having to worry if you're being slow or silly, or without having to please anyone.

You don't have to compromise. You don't have to worry about hurting anyone.

You don't have to answer to anyone. Besides God.

Hey, that's quite a lot! But you know what, I might just be able to draw up another list of why I should not stay single if someone can convince me to drop my endangered species status. After all, I am the Queen of SUBARU lists.