Thursday, July 27, 2006

Theories Theorised

During lunch today, my friend and I had an interesting discussion ranging from religion to relationship. I asked for his honest-to-goodness feedback on how he thinks I can improve myself, what he thinks I'm lacking etc. It was, like I said, interesting and engaging. He even told me about the Theory of the Second Best; now this is an economics theory. I can so see that it can be applied to even relationships! In short, apparently I have to reduce my optimality conditions (expectations) until an economic model of the next best solution can be satisfied. This means that in an economy (relationship) with some unavoidable market failure (relationship failure), it may be necessary for the government (matchmaker) to interfere.

If I understand it correctly, optimality conditions can be depicted by way of graphs, two dimensional, three-D, four-D and so on, depending on the number of conditions. So the formula for DreamGuy (G) = a + bW + cX + dY + eZ [for simplicity, let's assume I have four optimality conditions based on the four criteria]. W = wealth, X = family status/rank, academic qualification, Y = looks and Z = religion. And 'a' stands for all other little optimality conditions rolled together.

OK, my friend did mention that ideally dG/dW = O, dG/dX = 0 etc, but this is too technical already, so let's just leave it there, shall we.

Hmmm...whaddya think?

~~~~~~~~

My tomorrow is full of meeting, meetings, and more meetings!!! It's like the whole of tomorrow is full of meetings! It's like I have to be punished before I can enjoy the weekend...!!! Hmmm, interesting theory.

Our office staff day is this Saturday. InsyaAllah will be going there after work tomorrow. A series of activities [team building and also treasure hunt] are planned for us. Somehow I think the treasure hunt will be more like The Amazing Race than the usual treasure hunt. And I'm sooo not fit!

Meeting my visiting Japanese friend [and her mum] on Sunday. They're holidaying here for about a week. Busy weekend ahead but I think I'll enjoy it. Must stay and keep busy to keep my mind off unpleasant thoughts!

~~~~~~~~

I miss my girlfriend, C. She just delivered her second prince on Saturday, 22 July 2006 [another Cancerian, yeay!] so that means I won't be able to talk to her until end-September at least. Otherwise, we occasionally call each other at the office and yak [I don't like calling people at home when they're busy with their families]. My last call to her was on Monday when she was about to check out from the hospital sans baby who has been detected as having G6PD. The last bit of our conversation went like this:

She: You know, when I think about you, I think this: it's funny that you don't like people who like you and you go for people who will likely hurt you.

Me: (speechless) Errrr... (darn, she seems to have a point)

Hmmm... I have the next two months if I want to prove her theory wrong!