Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Cat City Weekend

Went back to HQ last Friday evening after spending 12 solid hours in the office. It's scary how hard I can work and at the end of that long day, I was amazed that I could still summon and stimulate my brain cells to think instead of them rotting, decaying and dying. When I was growing up and in one of those bored-of-studying states, I couldn't wait to serve my contract [my job was as good as guaranteed, syukur] before eventually finding a good husband and having a pair of adorable, well-behaved children... and I hoped, I'd be able to quit my job and work on my own or be a lady of leisure. How naive I was (and I guess will Always be)! As it is, I only have one of the above at the moment and I'm beginning to think I'm just working for the money. For I have to earn my keep to support myself ['cause I have to, 'cause no one else is going to support me, 'cause I have to take care of myself]. I just wish earning a halal rezeki is much easier.
~~~~~~~~
As a belated birthday treat to myself, I went for a facial on Saturday. I wanted to get a haircut but the place I frequent was full and I was told to return in the afternoon. Bought a couple of novels too. Spent the rest of the day resting. I'm still having [at least 'til Yesterday] post-World Cup side effects where I suddenly get up for no reason at 2/3 am and it's beginning to get exhausting. Never had this happened before, not during those previous Euro and World Cup tourneys.
~~~~~~~~
A few months earlier, I bought a return AirAsia ticket to Kuching as yet another birthday treat to myself (oh yes, I have a few of those, 'cause I love to pamper and spoil myself!). Also bought a return ticket for Mummy. We left Sunday morning for the LCCT for our maiden flight aboard the low cost carrier. I was pleasantly surprised when the plane took off on time [and also on our return leg!] after all the stories I heard about AirAsia not having a good record for on-time departure and arrival. We took off in what appeared to be a new Airbus. I was suitably impressed and am now ready to convert from the national carrier to this one! Mind you, I had taken budget flights in Europe before and had no qualms about them. My initial reservation on AirAsia was its poor on-time flights. Once, as I was boarding a 10 am flight to KT, I overhead an announcement for an AirAsia flight being delayed to 4 pm that afternoon!

Landed in Kuching at 1.35 pm and after colecting our luggage, we cabbed it to the Crowne Plaza Riverside. After freshening up and prayers, we went out. Mummy already had plans and knew exactly what she would get (I was staring at Mummy in disbelief and gaping when she asked the check-in counter girl whether she could check in tikar Sarawak [hand-woven mats] on her return flight). I wasn't planning on spending much; after all we were last in Kuching in February 2004 [and Abah and Mummy had bought those mats during our previous visit!!!]. Good thing I brought my novel 'cause Shopping with Mummy can be, well, dragging. Finally, I injected some enthusiasm and helped her make up her mind with her purchase [or else we'd risk being at the Main Bazaar til the shops close for the day and the cows go home]. After dinner, we went back to the hotel.
On Monday, I reluctantly accompanied her to find her desired ikan terubuk masin [the local delicacy of salted fish]; she had asked the hotel staff where she could get the best ones and most everyone advised that Satok is the place. So there we were, hopping onto an illegal taxi-van and then taking the local bus to Satok. After that, because she wanted to buy the famous Sarawak layered cake [kuih lapis Sarawak], we walked the whole length of Jalan Satok to find the shop [I believe the name is Mariam Cake House]. It was, thankfully, not too scorching a morning but still humid nevertheless. I threatened that I'd turn around regardless if we couldn't find the shop and good thing we did. The air-cond interior was a welcome relief! And my, the cakes don't come cheap. We then returned to the hotel to rest and ventured out again for lunch and another browse of the Main Bazaar.
We returned to KL on Tuesday and after a series of limo ride, Boeing 737-300 plane ride and coach ride to KL Sentral - and lugging our heavy bags across to the taxi counter - I Finally reached my current residence at 4 pm.
~~~~~~~~

Was back at work Yesterday and had a headache almost immediately after stepping into The Office. Was nursing it the whole day and couldn't wait until I could get back for a lie-down.