Monday, June 19, 2006

The Weekend: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

First for some World Cup action that I managed to catch since my last posting.

Woke up early Friday morning to catch the 2nd half of the England-Trinidad and Tobago match. Was about to contemplate returning back to my cosy bed when Crouch scored. Stayed glued to the tube and was rewarded with another goal from Gerrard. The Three Lions had Finally scored their World Cup goals!!!

Angola remarkably held Mexico to a goalless draw despite losing a man towards the end of the match. Bravo to the Black Antelopes!

Watched Azzurri played the USA Sunday morning. I wasn't at all happy with how badly Azzurri played, they were too slow, looked lethargic and played like buffoons. Well, except for Gigi Buffon that is.

Unfortunately I didn't watch the Czech Republic-Ghana game and hence missed the shocking result of 2-0. That was amazing, fantastic, fabulous!

Japan-Croatia game was quite good and entertaining. Japan didn't make any real assault on the Croatian goal but the goalie was remarkable. Too bad he didn't manage to stop the additional two Aussie goals previously.

France-South Korea: Well, I've somehow suspected that France wouldn't make it far this time [not after the last World Cup and Euro 2004!]. Although Les Blues led 1-0 in the 9th minute, courtesy of Henry, it was equalised by a goal from Ji-Sung Park, 9 minutes before time.

I have a good feeling that the still surviving African and Asian teams will advance quite a bit at this World Cup. It's about time!

~~~~~~~~

After the usual Saturday domestic chores, went for a back massage which appointment was set months back [somehow couldn't fit in the time to go there earlier: the place was either fully booked or my schedule was full. Sheesh, and I'm still single and not seeing anyone! What would it be like when I'm attached (ok, indulge me here!)]. I was fashionably late, by only about 10 minutes, still forgivable. As it was my first session, I had no clue what was coming except that I'd be getting a back massage - a good one if I'm Lucky.

After stuffing my bags [had an extra bag as I was going back to HQ later that day] in a locker, I was led to a room and told to change [to those similarly inexperienced/clueless, that means undressing until you're in your birthday suit]. There was a robe, two towels, a shower cap and a little thing which I couldn't quite make out. The girl kept knocking on my door as she couldn't find my card and on one occasion, told me to don the shower cap and the small thing, which turned out to be a pair of disposable knickers. Ahhh, now I see. I just didn't study it carefully earlier.

After following the instructions to a tee, I lay down on the bed and started making myself comfortable by arranging the towels over me. Then I thought, hey I was there for a back massage so I should perhaps lie on my tummy and not on my back. Hmmm. I Finally decided to lie on my side.

I was made to wait, 'cause the masseuse wasn't available yet. Dang! I should have taken my own sweet time in arriving then. The soothing spa music coupled with the sound of running water lulled me and pretty soon I almost dozed off (waking up for that morning's Angola-Mexico match Sure didn't help any). Almost half an hour later, the masseuse appeared and told me to turn and lie on my tummy. She was quick to assure me, at my flustered and embarassed attempt to cover myself from the slipping towels, that we were both females and there was nothing for me to worry or be ashamed of. Oh yea? Easy for you to say. I had never felt so exposed in my whole life before! [okay, apart from when I was born up 'til I was able to clothe my own self, I'm sure, but only 'cause I didn't know any better then!] She then removed the pillow, exposing the hole to fit my head.

She covered me properly with the two towels and without warning proceeded to climb [okay, I think that was what she did. I couldn't see 'cause I was staring down the hole wondering what was coming next] and began massaging my back. Then she rubbed, squeezed, pounded and moulded my body as if it's a dough, telling me to let her know if it got painful. I did eventually and when she changed her pressure, I wanted to laugh for it felt ticklish. After moulding my body this way and that and twisting and turning my back, she applied some massage oil onto my body and started the whole procedure but it seemed different somehow and still painful. I tell you, now I know there is such a combination of pleasure and torture for that was what I was experiencing. Unlike a facial, there was no way one could fall asleep through a massage. After gasping for breath, I just concentrated on trying to Breathe Again and again throughout (and even had a difficulty with that!). Looking at the masseuse, you wouldn't be able to guess that she was actually quite strong and had powerful hands. I felt like I was in an x-rated movie with sadomasochism as its theme and her as my torturer , except of course my hands weren't tied or bound and I'm not into that scene.

After almost a lifetime, the sadist finally told me to sit up. Before I could feel relief with the end of the torture, she dealt me with some blows on my poor back. Oh, you'd think she'd show and Have Mercy on me but no. She (unconvincingly) assured me that it was expected that I'd be feeling the pain since it was only my first time [meaning: come again and after a few times, you won't feel painful. Or simply, part some more of your money with us].

Met up a girlfriend after that. Had some Shopping and window-Shopping and we even tried a session with Ogawa massage chair [or whatever it's called]. I quit after 10 minutes or so. It was already pouring ever so heavily and we decided to brave the Rain for a leisurely and well-deserved lunch at KL Plaza. After feeding our hungry, famished souls, we went for prayers before continuing with our retail therapy session. My credit card suffered serious damage over the weekend. Ah well, I deserve a little treat from my hard-earned money. Headed back to HQ after that.

On Sunday, went out to a nearby mall after lunch. Thought I'd just saunter around a bit but I ended up swiping my card again. Heigh-ho, I deserve it. Wasn't too happy when I had to wait simply ages for the stupid shuttle home. When I eventually reached home, I was in a fine temper.

~~~~~~~

And that just about summed up my weekend. All the good, bad and ugly rolled together.