Friday, June 30, 2006

In Between

After a week of hiatus, am now back in the office [all together now: moan, groan, mumble, grumble! But hey, at least it's Friday today, so Hurrah!]. To those who asked where I had been, my reply was, 'I've been to London, to see the Queen,' and that was somehow enough to silence them - for the time being at least. But I wasn't being entirely truthful for I wasn't in London. But more of that to come to assault your reading senses. Later.

Shortly after arriving at my destination last Friday, I got a text from my colleague informing that she had delivered her second princess earlier that morning by an emergency caeserean section. I'm glad that it's now over for her, the bleeding and all. For inexperienced me, better to have a birth early by 6 weeks even if it means a C-sect delivery than trying to deliver it full-term and risking your health, and possibly baby's too, along the way. And to think that I had consciously timed my trip not to coincide with her expected due date and maternity leave. Ah well, man proposes, God disposes.

Then just before lunch, I got another text saying that an old friend's husband had passed away. I don't know much about his condition save that he was admitted to the ICU of IJN about two weeks earlier. The last I heard was that he was recovering so of course this unexpected turn of event was quite shocking. Barely hours after touching down in a foreign land, and I was already having to get to grips with the news of an earlier-than-expected early birth and an unexpected death.

Another series of texts arrived on Tuesday requesting my humble presence at a meeting today. So a flurry of text messages were sent back and forth and costing me considerable amount of roaming cost. Thanks to the wonderful world of technology [which isn't so wonderful when I am on holiday and don't want to be disturbed], people can still track me down. Now you know why I don't check my work emails when I'm away from the office. Ignorance can be blissful. Oh, by the way, the meeting has now been rescheduled @$%*&!~

Anyway, thanks to technology too, I managed to catch some World Cup action while I was there. No matter that it was in a foreign language. Because sometimes, A Little Less Conversation (a little more action please) is enough.