Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Confessions Of A Shopaholic


Emotions running amok!

~~~~~~~~

Guess what? My credit card provider just called me yesterday... to inform that my credit card has been cloned YET AGAIN!!! This is the 4th or 5th time it's happened. I'm both amused and amazed that this has continually happened to me. You'd think it's more secure now that everyone's moved to chip-based cards but no, apparently it isn't so. I'm positive I hold the record for the Most Cloned Credit Cardholder! Thankfully there's no sale on the horizon [well, until next weekend that is... Yes, I am the reference point for sales news - which stores are having sales, duration of sales etc. And my friend just declared me The Epitome of Shopping Queen]. Anyway, I should be able to get my replacement card by mid of next week [it'd better be couriered by next Wednesday or I shall cease to be amused].

You may wonder why I haven't just cancelled the card and switched to another credit card provider. Well, I would have but I'm quite pleased with the services provided thus far - except for the occasional attempt to get me to buy some insurance cover the provider is tied up with and transfer of credit card balance [I don't believe in transferring debt from one basket to another, besides it doesn't come free I'm sure] - and it's been pretty efficient at detecting anomaly in my spending to suspect that fraud has taken place. My credit card was once detected supposedly used at two different pump stations in a city of a neighbouring state and the time difference between the fill-up was only a few hours, which doesn't make any sense at all. Plus, I don't drive.

I know of some lady whose card was cloned and the fraudster actually bought attires and toiletries unique to men [she's single too]. Her credit card provider not only never called her to notify of this strange, unusual splurging but even insisted she pay the whole amount. So really, I wouldn't really change my credit card provider just yet. Thankfully, I don't have that many standing instructions made against my card.

~~~~~~~~

I attended a meeting this morning and all of a sudden, just as the preliminary small talk had been done with and we were ready to move to The Big Issue at hand, my tummy started growling. Rumble, mumble, growl and howl it went and I quickly looked around to see if anyone noticed and study any change in facial expressions. Shhh, how very embarassing!!! It's a good thing I didn't chair the meeting [now that won't happen for a few years yet] and I was not seated next to the Chairman but still... and this is not the first time my tummy had embarassed me. I've attended a few post-lunch meetings before and the tummy still decided it should start the meeting with a loud grumble [despite the lunch]! And once or twice, someone actually noticed, or rather heard, and gave me a nudge. [And there was once when I was on a date, our first date together too - we went to catch a movie. He offered to buy some snacks which I refused. We were about to settle ourselves down comfortably and my tummy simply had to do its rumble then. Thank God it was dark in the theatre for I had turned very red indeed. And yes, he heard. And he commented on it. But very nicely.] Hey, give me a break, it's beyond my control! It's not as if my mind tells my tummy Let's Get To Rumble and off it goes, rumbling! Help! My professional image is at stake here! I'm convinced my tummy has a mind of its own and it will embarass me if/when it wants/decides to!

~~~~~~~~

I'm feeling mad enough with myself to want to give myself a kick. See, AirAsia is having this irresistible offer and yours truly decided to give it a try [despite no airmiles to be derived]. Yes, this is to be my very first trip aboard AirAsia. So I booked a return ticket for myself and parents yesterday and only noticed this morning that I've somehow overshot the return date from 2 Sept to 22 Sept [only a scatterbrain can do that and I am evidently one]. Argh, opportunity cost again! And anyone who's called or tried calling AirAsia's Call Centre will testify that it's next to Impossible to get through, if ever, and I was cradling the phone for dear life for a quarter of an hour or so before someone attended to me. And as I've had to use the call centre to change my return ticket date, I couldn't benefit from the Internet rates -besides, the price has since rocketed, yes, all in less than 24 hours! - and take this, I have to pay airport taxes again!! [for some reason, the airport tax paid earlier cannot be transferred to the new return date...moan, groan, mumble, grumble!]. And on top of that, I had to use my debit card yesterday as I couldn't use my alternative credit card; apparently I need to sign up for virtual use or sth. So today, I had to borrow a friend's credit card to rectify my silly mistake. Phew, I was very relieved when I finally Hung Up but still want to kick myself all the same! Anyway, Now Everyone Can Fly!

~~~~~~~~~

I'm upset that AC Milan lost to Barcelona this morning - with yummy Maldini, Nesta, Kaka, Inzaghi [who didn't play this morning] in this team, is it any wonder why I want Milan to win instead of Barca? And tonight, or rather tomorrow morning this part of the globe, Arsenal will meet Villareal. Let's hope Arsenal won't play like donkeys as they're sometimes capable of doing.

~~~~~~~~

I'm now Happy, Thankful and full of Joy etc etc etc for my leave application has been approved. I can now go for my Holiday with a Happy heart!

~~~~~~~~

Yes, Emotions are definitiely running amok...! Please Shed A Tear for me.... especially for my AirAsia online purchasing fiasco. Btw, just like Becky Bloomwood, I wish I have my own Luke Brandon too...