Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Here We Go Again

It’s that time of the year again. After a month of abstinence, patience, control, restraint, reflection, appreciation and ibadah, we will celebrate Eid tomorrow. And the way some celebrate it here, I’m not sure why we even bother observing Ramadan when Syawal becomes a month of wastage and flaunting. I don’t like and have never liked the way it’s celebrated here – in excess and in ways not even Islamic. Only Malaysian Muslims celebrate Eid for a month just because they fast for a month in Ramadan. Anyway, maybe it’s just me. But I sure as heck don’t look forward to Eid. I don’t believe Eid is the only time children/the young should remember their aging parents/family members and make the trip to visit. Am I supposed to be flattered with your visit when you never deigned to visit or attempted a phone call the previous 11 months? I don’t think the purpose of Eid is for the womenfolk to be slaves in the kitchen preparing food for the guests. Oh sure, some willingly put themselves through this but you can still have a good time celebrating together without going overboard. If it were to me, I’d just order the dishes and that’s it. I’d rather be in the air-conditioned office than slaving at home over the stove. I’d rather earn the money and pay someone else to do it for me and why not when I don’t have the expertise or interest or inclination.

Anyway, let’s all have a moderate Eid. No need to go to extremes, no need to be extravagant, no need to flaunt new clothes. You deserve to dress yourself in something special everyday anyway, not just during Eid.

I do try - as I do on other days - not just during Eid, to keep the house in order. It’s a losing battle because dad isn’t the neatest person and he makes a lot of mess. He probably doesn’t even notice his mess or that I clean it up for him. Such are men!

As usual, I feel sad as Ramadan comes closer to its end. I tried my best, Allah. Please forgive my shortcomings and do grant me another Ramadan, insyaAllah.

Last but not least, these are some of the LOLCats’ Eid Preparations:

Clean up the house
Clean the outdoors - or outsource it to a professional clean up crew
Set the house to order
Try on new clothes or your still new clothes and make sure they fit and you like them. Otherwise, toss them out!
Set time aside to mend clothes if and when necessary
Make sure you iron your clothes early in case theres a blackout or youre prevented from ironing for some reason
Cook, or if you are hopeless like I am, be useful in the kitchen and help out
Help out with the batter, the mixing, the kneading, the baking etc
All that done, all that’s left is all that’s left is to ask for forgiveness...
...and the to go for Eid prayers and wait for the guests to arrive


Wishing everyone Eid Mubarak. Exercise moderation in your celebration and food intake and do drive safely.