My old dorm-mate invited us to her son’s wedding reception which took place last Saturday in Kota Bharu. My two mates and I discussed about it but one later realised she had to work that weekend while another had another event closer to home. I was browsing the flight ticket back to KL and managed to get a ticket on Firefly to KLIA at RM100. Before I knew it, I had clicked ‘purchase’. I told myself that it’d be ‘only’ RM100 if I changed my mind later. Then I searched for a hotel near Siti Khadijah Market.
Thursday, 23 July 2026
I made my way to KLCC to Gombak station for my 23:00 bus to KB. I was dozing off while waiting for the Queen Express bus but was not able to sleep after boarding the bus. The bus was 15 minutes late which was still acceptable to me.
Friday, 24 July 2026
We arrived at Gua Musang rest area at 02:40 and stopped there for 40 minutes. It made a few stops before finally reaching KB bus terminal at 06:30. After getting my bag, I hurried to the prayer room to perform morning prayers.
I’d decided to walk to the hotel - it was only 2.6 km away and besides it was still early morning. I reached Andiana Hotel and Lodge before 08:00 and after freshening up and some light breakfast, I left my bags in the lobby and ventured out. I walked to Muhammadi Mosque (the State Mosque) then to the Royal Pier.
I met a woman who asked if I had any gold to sell. I said no then asked her if Soto Khadijah Market was open seeing it was Friday. She suggested for me to check out the farmers’ market so I walked down Jalan Temenggung and came upon the market. The road was not closed to vehicles though.
There were traders selling fruits including durians, vegetables, fish, ready-to-eat food and desserts, clothes, perfume oil and household products like detergent. I saw a few people sitting on mats and at first wondered if they were picnicking before I realised they were listening to a religious talk. I turned and walked the back alley as I didn’t want to walk through the listening crowd. I bought a packed rice with chicken then went to have brunch at a restaurant. There were a few dishes on the menu but only curry noodles and briyani were served then so I ordered curry noodles. It was flavourful and good, alhamdulillah.
I then walked around before entering a ladies’ clothes shop. There were many pretty outfits but most were too long for me. Maybe I’m just not tall enough ;(
I walked back and met the woman who suggested checking out the farmers’ market and chatted with her before browsing a nearby gold shop. Many shops were closed, it being a Friday, and those few which did open must close their doors during Friday prayers.
I walked back to the hotel and checked in. My room was at the third (and top) floor but of course. The room was enough for me. I performed prayers then went to iron my outfit for the following day. The hotel provided a refrigerator, water dispenser, iron and board, hair dryer and tables and chairs for guests to use at every floor.
I ventured out at 20:30 to the night market but didn't buy anything. I was surprised to find some traders only starting to set up their stalls at 20:30. I wondered how long their stalls would remain open. Until midnight, I suppose.
Saturday, 25 July 2026
I woke up early and stayed in until 11:55. I checked out and arranged for a Grab car to bring me to Sam Sweet Gardens. Traffic was pretty heavy. I arrived at 12:25 and left my bag at a table near the entrance and handed the wedding present I’d brought all the way from KL then went to find my friends.
I stayed until 14:20 and managed to get a ride to Perdana Hotel from a friend. My friend, R, has kindly offered for me to stay with her and I gladly took up on her offer. She left to visit her mother while I stayed in. It rained shortly after and was quite heavy at one point.
I ventured out in the early evening but was still full from the reception so I didn’t buy any dinner. We spent the night in relative peace and quiet.
Sunday, 26 July 2026
An early start as we both had early flights today. We left the hotel at 06:55 for the airport. Another group of friends had arranged for a van throughout their stay and the van driver agreed to take us to the airport. My flight took off on time at 08:30 and we landed at KLIA T1 at 09:25. It’s my third time flying Firefly to KLIA and just like the previous two occasions last September, the plane didn’t taxi to the gate so we had to descend the stairs and take a bus to the terminal building.
So that was my 50 hours in KB.
#visitmalaysiayear2026



















|