Tuesday, January 03, 2017

The Year That Was: 2016

It’s first working and school day of 2017 today (well, at least for us in the west coast; my thoughts and sympathies to those affected by the flood in the east coast). What a year 2016 had been eh. It was a somewhat challenging year with its ups and downs, trials and tribulations, trying, tiring and testing. I couldn’t wait for 2016 to end but at the same time I wasn’t looking forward to another whole brand new year either.

2016 saw continued conflicts, disputes and disagreements which were within human control and natural disasters and catastrophes (which may have been a result of global warming so you could say that we did contribute indirectly to them), heightened Islamophobia and terrorist attacks. Just as I thought we couldn’t possible go any lower as humans, it seemed that no, we were capable of much more cruelty. It seems brutality and cruelty have no limits and some of those caught in wars have had to flee their homeland. I don’t know if they hold think much hope for another new year; certainly if I were in their shoes, I probably wouldn’t even care about the coming dawn of another year. Survival would be uppermost in my mind. I started following some figures on Twitter and Facebook to understand more on what is happening in the conflict areas (not to worry, I still try not to spend too long on boring ol’ FB).

I think 2016 was starting to be a difficult year economically with price hikes from food to petrol. I personally know people who have badly impacted by the economy and it’s sometimes hard to see a light at the end of this seemingly deep, difficult and dark tunnel - if there’s any light in the first place.

I spent more time reading and reflecting and Alhamdulillah, I managed to finish 150 books. I also continue to read the Quran almost every night and recite prayers when I can’t pray.

I took less leave days last year but still managed to squeeze in some trips (three new countries too, syukur Alhamdulillah:

January: Spent Thaipusam weekend in Melaka
February: Flew off to Tanzania and made a short trip to Malawi
March: Went on tandem paragliding at Bukit Jugra
April: Went on a short trip to Port Dickson at the beginning of the month. Flew off to Frankfurt at month-end
May: Visited Luxembourg City before flying to Italy
June: Didn’t manage to make any trip ;’(
July: Flew to Kota Bharu for a day trip in end-July
August: Fraser’s Hill
September: Spent Malaysia Day weekend in KK and Gaya Island Resort
October: Spent Awal Muharram weekend in George Town, Penang, and represented TheOrganisation at Games held in Bali at month-end
November: A day trip to Johor Bahru on the first Saturday
December: Spent Maulidur Rasul weekend in Jakarta with my niece and joined a tour to Iran at month-end

Arsenal somehow managed to come in second in a two-dog race for the top two spot when Sp*ds hilariously lost 5-1 to already relegated Newcastle. A late St Totteringham’s Day but hey, better late than never. We were knocked out of the FA Cup though and I was pretty pissed about that.

I have cut down big on chicken and processed food. I had enjoyable weekend morning walks when I’m at micasa and I participated in the department’s light exercise held almost every morning. I continued to walk a lot (something a person who doesn’t drive is bound to do anyway) and I have taken to having short cat naps during lunch after some reading. I carried my water bottle and a shopping bag daily almost everywhere. My aim is to make better food choices: not buy too much that it leads to wastage, waste less resources and eat healthily. I also resolve to continue being a responsible citizen of the earth.


Anyway, Happy New Year 2017. May the year ahead bring us all much joy, happiness, stronger faith, good health, wealth and prosperity, peace and good fortune. Did you find it a relief to part ways with 2016 too?