Monday, December 01, 2014

Day Trip: Teluk Intan

My colours of Malaysia continued with a day trip to Teluk Intan. I can’t remember if I had been there when I was a child (dad used to go outstation during school holidays and always brought us along so I had already travelled all the way to Perlis, Kelantan and Terengganu as well as down south to Johore and Singapore. I can fairly say that my sister and I had been to all the states in the Peninsular even before I was 11) but even if I had, a return visit was surely in order after all this time. So we set off early on Saturday, 22 November 2014, and took route 5 via Kapar, Kuala Selangor, Sekinchan etc to Teluk Intan. It took us 3 hours to get there with the weather alternating between bright sunny patches to grey overcast gloom to sunshine to drizzle. We finally arrived at 11:45 and after finding a parking spot at Masjid Melayu, we headed for the leaning tower.

We climbed up to the second floor and admired the view from there. Unfortunately, we couldn’t climb any higher. I wouldn’t have minded climbing further. You could barely see the river from the second floor. After about 15 minutes, we went down and walked to the river. It was threatening to rain urgently so we quickly headed back to the town centre to find Abdullah Mastan Ghani Mee & Rojak restaurant (it’s opposite The Store) for an early lunch. I had rojak. Perhaps I should have chosen the noodles but the gravy was rather spicy so I was glad I chose rojak.

After lunch, we ventured around town and walked all the way to Sin Guan Hoe biscuit factory. We entered the shop from the factory (!) and I bought some local cookies as souvenir.


We returned to Masjid Melayu and after performing prayers, we drove back to KL. It was quite a long way before we reached the highway and after entering the highway, I slept all the way back to KL. Heh.