Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ordinary Guy

There is this one chap who works around TheOrganisation. He’s employed by another company to perform services for TheOrganisation. He is a sanitary officer and his main duty is to ensure the compound is kept clean and clear of rubbish and leaves. His ‘area’ can be anywhere from the basement parking to the lobby area (there are two lobby areas here). He walks with a pronounced limp and despite this apparent disability, is a very jovial, happy, cheerful person – I’ve never seen him being grouchy or grumpy or unhappy or depressed. He’d call out or wave to people walking by or driving past – greeting and acknowledging them - and seems comfortable doing so, without feeling inferior or ashamed of his position or disability. And he does so without making anyone feeling uncomfortable or disturbed [well, at least I’m not]. Sometimes I take time to stop and chat with him, asking him how his day has been and whether he’s had his meal. Other times, say, when I’m in a hurry or distracted, I just smile and waved at him. And I don’t worry that he will take it the wrong way.

Whenever I see him, I am reminded of how blessed I am to have a good pair of legs (which I do put to good use!) and how I should be thankful to have a job. Heck, sometimes I wish I can be as happy and passionate about performing my job as he is. Maybe he doesn’t need or want much from life, is just generally happy and cheerful, satisfied and thankful with what he already has, or is simply happy and contented with his simple, uncomplicated life. He reminds me there is much I can learn from the simple, everyday life of an ordinary man. Even if he has a limp.

Look around you, there’s much that we can learn from the seemingly ordinary person next to us. They all have their stories to tell, experiences to share and lessons to teach, if only we take the time to look, listen and learn.

~~~~~~~~

And the English rugby team proved they were no ordinary guys either as they overcame the host country in the last ten minutes of the semi-final match to set a date with the Springboks. Gulp. Yes, the very same team they met earlier and got a trashing from. I sure hope the final match will not be a repeat of the earlier group match.